macProVideo.com
Forums
  • iheli22
    Stabilization & Video Field Dominance
    [b]I need a little help with FCP-X Stabilization[/b] - I'm running out of Anxiety Meds :) It took me many hours to get to this point - But I'm coming from IM6 & 11 After Importing Video shot from a HDV 1080i camcorder or various old HD video Files (with Transcode & Stabilization set) I noticed that on several (Not All) clips that the "Video Field Dominance" is set to "Upper". I found that for these particular clips, FCPX Stabilization does NOT work when enabled, and is actually Backwards - amplifying the clip movement (This didn't happen with IM Stabilization?) 1. How are (some) of my Imports getting set to Upper? - and others not? 2. How do I Fix & Stabilize these clips in FCPX (ie. to Progressive ?) Your time & expertise would be appreciated...
  • sterling f.
    Re: Stabilization & Video Field Dominance
    I think I can help you. I have been following two other forums which discuss the issue of Stabilization not working consistently in FCP X. There can be, apparently, more than one cause. These discussions can be found at: [url]https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3135035?start=15&tstart=0[/url] and at: [url]http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/2218[/url] All of my video was 1920x1080i which was transcoded and analyzed for stabilization during ingest. After I selected some clips and dropped them into the timeline - stabilization did not work for any of them. (All of them showed upper field dominance for interlace, but that is normal for 1080i. "Progressive" scan is indicated by 1080p.) What worked for me: Clips to be stabilized should not be transcoded and analyzed during ingest - or if they were, delete them from the Event they are in, then reingest without transcoding & stab. analyzing. Place the new trimmed clip in the timeline, select it and click stabilization in the Inspector: it is transcoded and analyzed at that time and stabilization works. You need not change scan from interlaced to progressive as one letter suggests. If I haven't been entirely clear, some of the letters posted in the groups will likely answer your questions. Good luck! Sterling
  • iheli22
    Re: Stabilization & Video Field Dominance
    Thanks for the Stabilization info - Sterling.. I don't know how I missed some of the other stabilization threads - but i appreciate putting me on the correct track. Most of my video is shot from a Helicopter, so (duh) stabilization is quite important I verified that importing (with or without Transcoding) (Files or 1080i Camera) and with import Stabilization DISABLED that my Interlaced files can now be (post) stabilized in the Timeline with the 'Analyzing for Dominant Motion' - enabled through the Stabilization menu. I also verified that 'manually' removing the particular Event stabilization file from the Finder's FCP X Event/Analysis Files/Stabilization/"yourstabilizedfile" will also invoke the 'Analyzing for Dominant Motion' when Stabilization is turned on in the Timeline for the particular clip. NOTE: Other Stabilization Threads talk about force changing the Field Dominance to (whatever) or other Project tweaks, but - I have found that these DO NOT work for me. Additionally, I've found that these tweaks may leave the file "Half-Stabilized" without knowing it...
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: