macProVideo.com
Forums
  • marlosurf
    How to export SD footage to widescreen 16:9
    I have just switched from PC to Mac and Premiere Pro to Final Cut Pro x. I can't work out how to export my project (SD footage filmed on a panasonic 16:9 cam) to widescreen format (it defaults to 720 x 576). I've tried playing with the project settings but none seem to preview in 16:9 unlike the goproHD footage I've played with. Do I need compressor to do this.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: How to export SD footage to widescreen 16:9
    Hi marlowesurf, Welcome to the forums! Using Compressor would be a great idea. It's a great app and is perfectly placed to do these kind of tasks easily (by simply adding letterbox effect - i.e. black bears above and below the video). I don't have any SD footage to hand - but in FCP X if you choose Share > Export Movie... and choose the different Export settings, what does the summary area tell you about the output?
  • marlosurf
    Thanks for the reply but I think I've worked out how to do it in FCP X. In project properties it is PAL SD and the resolution is 720 x 576 DV. If I change the res to 720 x 576 DV Anamorphic then use the transform tool to stretch the clips out to the edge of the viewer (16:9) I think, then go back and change the project properties to 1080p HD it exports to the right size (wide screen) when open in iDVD. It seems awkward but also seems to work. If I choose any of the Apple ProRes or H.264 settings the output is 1024 x 576, any of the DV or MPEG settings have an output of 720 x 576. I tried to export as Apple ProRes but it shrunk back to 720 x 576 when I open it in iDVD. Cheers.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi marlosurf, Glad to know you found the solution & thanks for posting it! Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: