macProVideo.com
Forums
  • jkmcclure
    AVCHD to ProRes
    hey, someone told me for better quality that I need to use Mpeg Streamclip and convert to ProRes - which will make my video sharp. In FCE my log/transfer options for capture only say AVCHD...what does this mean in relation to trying to get my clip to prores? basically I"m just trying to get sharp and crisp quality with my Canon 60D for my webseries....
  • achilts
    Re: AVCHD to ProRes
    Do you have the EOS Movie Plugin-E1 for FCP? Check out this article for going through FCP Log and Transfer: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/eos_movie_pulgin_article.shtml I've usually just drag-and-dropped the files from the CF card image to a new folder, so all the native h.264 files are now on my hard drive, then put into streamclip and converted to Prores LT (or whatever codec you choose). Prores will just make all your 60d clips play smoothly in Final Cut, it will not increase the original quality of your footage. Prores is a cleaner codec for FCE to handle. The quality is most likely going to come from your lenses.
  • jkmcclure
    Thank you, I read the article and got the plug-in. Only thing when I read mpeg streamline I don't have ProRes listed as a codec. Is there a reason a default isteall of streamline wouldn't have ProRes? What other codec should I use, but I would like to use ProRes... thank you:) (btw...not sure who moderates, but I bought a subscription and watched the video on Video Fundamentals Buzz, and it was great. I learned a lot!)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey jkmcclure, Welcome to the forums & glad you've been enjoying the subscription service! There's also a growing number of free articles (e.g. Logic, Reason, Ableton, Pro Tools, FCP X, After Effects, Photoshop, OS X, etc, etc) being published daily on The MPV Hub - our online magazine: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/[/url] Anyway, just thought I'd pop by and welcome you here :) Thanks Rounik
  • achilts
    There should be the option to convert to Apple Prores in Mpeg Streamclip. My workflow is this -- -open Mpeg Streamclip -List > Batch List -Drag and drop files -Export to Quicktime > OK -Choose Destination -In compression window, under compressor drop down menu there should be about 40 diff compression types along with the Prores family. If you have the latest mpeg streamclip software it will be there. I'm using Mpeg Streamclip 1.9.2
  • jkmcclure
    thank you achilts. You listed a step that I missed, found it now. Thank you:) got it!
  • BenB
    Re: Re: Re: AVCHD to ProRes
    Log and transfer
  • kelly456
    EOS Movie Plugin-E1 for FCP seems doesn't work well. Why not trying a third-party software?
  • BenB
    If the EOS plugin, updated to the latest version, doesn't work, there's something else wrong.
  • willartte
    From Apple Official Website, we know that FCP does support AVCHD video files. However, people still encountered issue when they try to import AVCHD files into FCP. Why? That is because FCP is only compatible such AVCHD file including AVCCAM, AVCHD Lite, and NXCAM. In order to successfully import AVCHD videos into FCP, you'd better to transcode AVCHD to ProRes 4444/422 which are more compatible with FCP. Here is a guide to do this task at: [url]http://www.faasoft.com/articles/avchd-to-prores.html[/url]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: