macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jyvijio
    Moving Text in Final Cut Pro X
    I am trying to move text in the viewer. I double click the text in the viewer (using custom text) I type the text I need, then I want to move to a different location. There is a handle that is suppose to be available that allows me to move the text. But it does not appear. Final Cut help says to click on the icon button in the middle but for me this does not work. In Final Cut Pro X Training_Section 6 Text and Titles #26 - The custom title. Your training shows that all i have to do is grab the text and move anywhere. For me the curser stays in in typing mode it does not change to the little handle for moving? Is there something I am missing here?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Moving Text in Final Cut Pro X
    Hi Gary, It works here. The handle in the centre of the text field is available by clicking on it after you've double-clicked in the text area to be able to edit the text. Which Title are you having problems with? Have you tried clicking outside the text area and going back to the circular handle? ... Is your Timeline tool set to anything other than the normal pointer/selection tool? Thanks Rounik
  • Jyvijio
    I have tried pointer tool at normal/select and position. No matter what I do the tool does not change into triangle move tool. I have tried clicking outside, but the curser remains as in text view. I am using the Custom text. But I have tried on other ones also.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Gary, Sorry to hear that. I see you're using OSX Lion. Are you running 10.7.1? I've tried this on 10.6.7 and it works fine... Here's a quick video to show you what I'm doing - in case it helps: [url]http://www.sendspace.com/file/iglwn5[/url] I wonder if this is a bug in Lion - but the Custom Text Title works fine here too...
  • Jyvijio
    Must be different. I also inquired to apples forum. This is what they said and it worked. its different than what your showing in the training. Apple: There is a little rectangle icon in the lower left of the preview window. First select the text clip in the timeline, positioning the timeline also somewhere on that clip. Then make click the little rectangle icon in the viewer window to make sure it is blue. Then a rectangle around your text should appear on the viewer window. In the center of the text or closeby should be a tiny circle. You can click on that circle and drag the text to somewhere else on the screen.
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh, ok... but this is the same procedure in the video I sent you in the link above... What exactly was the process you were doing?
  • Jyvijio
    I bought your final cut x training and if you look at section 106, Chapter 1, section 6 #26 it shows the curser changing into a triangle shape, than you can move text. says nothing about clicking on the box in the corner of viewer. quit a bit different...
  • Rounik Admin
    Gary. I just referred to the video 26 in the Final Cut X 106 tutorial. The process Michael shows is exactly the way you should be able to move titles. The following is an excerpt from the video: " Drag and drop it (the title) to so a superimpose on this clip. It appears on the screen. Now, I haven't really pointed this out... but while you can change the appearance of the text over here in the Inspector, you can also double-click the text right here in the viewer. Then you can type whatever the text you want is. And you can move it around... There's a little handle there. Just drag that to the position you want it to go... " etc. ____ I'm actually not sure what "box in the corner of the viewer" you're referring to... Thanks Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh - by little box in lower left of the Viewer window I think you mean the Transform tool. Well, sure you can use this on any clip to move, resize, etc the clip... but this isn't the way you're encouraged to manipulate titles for good reason. If you've got a title (e.g. Clouds) in which you want to move the text but not the cloud graphics... The Transform tool will move everything and will not discriminate between each text selection and the graphics. Hope this makes sense. Please refer again to video 26 in FCP X 106 or check the video I made specially to show you how it works on my system in the link above. Thanks Rounik
  • Jyvijio
    at the bottom left called the transform effect tool. Next to the crop tool and distort tool. In the training as the curser moves away a move tool appears, black triangle. He does not click on transform tool. My curser tool stays in the text mode
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: