macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Medakya
    FCE: Motion 5 or After Effects AND Tutorials
    Hello savvy people, I'm using FCE and I have FOUR questions... 1.) What is the difference between Motion 5 and AE? 2. & 3.) If you have a preference, which one is it and why? 4.) Are the MacProVid Motion 5 tutorials helpful to FCE users? Thank so much for your time.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: FCE: Motion 5 or After Effects AND Tutorials
    Hi AudioGirl! Well, Motion 5 and After Effects certainly overlap in many ways... but they have their own specialities! Both can be used to create motion graphics, titles, etc. After Effects has some extra abilities... browse through the After Effects tutorial video Table of contents to get a better idea... Well, I love Motion 5 and it integrates really well with Final Cut Pro X... that is you can create effects, transitions and titles specifically for FCP X. Having said that, if I had the opportunity to get my hands on After Effects I wouldn't hesitate... the effects I've seen created in AE are stunning! 4) Motion 5 tutorial videos are applicable to Motion 5 users. Final Cut Express doesn't come with Motion... so you could certainly check out the free and paid for video tutorials but you'd need a copy of Motion 5 software to really put the training to the test! [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/motion-application[/url] :) Rounik
  • Medakya
    Gee -- a reply from the administrator -- how cool! Thanks so much Rounik for being so thorough. You've helped me decide to go with Motion 5. AE I'm sure is the bomb but it sounds like overkill for us as we do mostly audio and only got into video because clients would ask if we did it. Not wanting to leave money on the table we said, "Sure!" So if it's simple, we now do video. If it's involved we produce and hire outside. But I digress... I've since learned that Motion 5 will NOT work with my OS X 10.5. So I'll need to upgrade. Would you happen to know if that's a complicated and expensive process?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Audiogirl, Happy to be of help! I think Motion 5 is a good way to go in conjunction with Final Cut Pro X. Very good value for money. So, what exactly do you wish to create/make in terms of video motion graphics? Yup, you'll need to upgrade. If you have a compatible Mac, then going for Lion is pretty now that Apple have made it available on a USB drive: [url]http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD256Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY[/url] Once you have upgraded to Lion then you'll be able to buy Final Cut Pro X and Motion 5 from the Mac App Store only. Depending on the version of FCE you're running... well, it might not work under Lion. I'd recommend getting an external firewire drive and cloning your current system (before you upgrade) to the new drive using the free application called Carbon Copy Cloner. Then you can start-up from your old system if needs be. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Medakya
    Dear Admin! I clicked on link but they're upgrading but I'll keep checking. So Lion is the brand new OS. I need to do some homework. I don't know whether the 4.0.1 FCE is compatible with Motion 5. I'm on an iMac, 10.5.8, Leopard. I suppose I'll need to take this cumbersome MAC to the Apple store to get the skinny, right? Argh. Or I do still have Apple Care MAC Support. Maybe I should call and talk to a tech?? To answer your query Rounik, what I currently and specifically want to do is work with Green screen stock clips. I've added a link so you can see an example. At least I hope I did. QUESTION: will Motion 5 help with it? [url]http://youtu.be/kwueLd572iQ[/url] To see an example of the 9-5 work we do here's another YT link: http://youtu.be/IREMZYUaVpE Do you do this kind of video work? Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH. You have no idea how appreciative we are. The AudioGirlz
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi AudioGirl, Excuse the late reply! Yup, OS X Lion is the latest OS... but I'm not sure if FCE 4 is compatible with Lion - let alone Motion 5(!) No need to take it to the Mac Store. Just order the Lion upgrade and install it yourself... by the way what is your Mac model and spec? Just to let you know that Motion 5 is available for only $50 (yes, fifty!) and Final Cut Pro X is about $300... Yes, Motion 5 and even FCP X should be able to help you with inserting video in the green screen area of the video you linked to and motion tracking it. Having watched your reel (which is cool!) FCP X will be able to help you with that no problem. However, I would recommend learning FCP X form the ground-up as it is based on a very different paradigm than previous versions of FCP. The videos here on FCP X and Motion 5 by Michael Wohl are priceless in my humble opinion... Thanks :)
  • Medakya
    Thanks Rounik. You ask: "by the way what is your Mac model and spec?" Ans: iMAC, 10.5.8, 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM "...Yes, Motion 5 and even FCP X should be able to help you with inserting video in the green screen area of the video you linked to and motion tracking it." That's great! However, I have FCE & wasn't entertaining the idea of moving up to FCP... I was hoping I could just upgrade (as you suggest) and start using Motion 5. Hmmmmm.... Food for thought. So let me ask you this Rounik: What's the frugal but effective way to do this? Upgrade to Lion and buy FCP? Thanks for the reel kudos. We feel very blessed to have the work. Speaking of work, you didn't answer my question... do you do this kind of video work?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi AudioGirl, Thanks for the info. I have no idea whether FCE 4 will work in Lion or not... so I couldn't suggest one way or another with regards to using FCE in Lion. You can use Motion 5 in Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and then export your creations from Motion 5 as quicktime movies and import them into FCE 4. To be honest, if I were in your positions I would buy an extra external drive and clone the system drive to the external (this creates a bootable mirror/backup of your Mac). Then I would upgrade to Lion and buy FCP X and Motion 5 and spend a couple of weeks learning the basics of the two programs... (FCP X is very, very different to FCP 7 or FCE 4). I don't know if you're already a subscriber here at macProVideo... but if you are then you've got access to all the FCP X and Motion 5 tutorial-videos which'll save lots of learning time! So, all in all that solution would set you back about $500 I think... Oh... sorry - this isn't frugal... but I wouldn highly, highly recommend you add more Ram to your iMac. It currently has 2GB. Not sure from here how much you can insert... but if it is less than 3/4 years old, perhaps 4 or 8 GB of Ram. 2GB is the minimum you'll need to run Lion. Other applications like FCP X and Motion will cry out for more...
  • Medakya
    (I am a subscriber here. Love what you guys offer). You make some really intelligent and valid points. You're so right; for fat video files more RAM is the way to go. But 85% of what we do is audio and our current gear, programs, and MACs work great. Even running beefy Logic there's been no issues with 2GB of RAM. You've helped me decide to keep using FCE for the easier, smaller video production work and keep subbing out the bigger TV gigs. I'll probably do the big upgrade in 2012. Unless this economy gets even worse, God forbid. Thanks for taking the time to educate us Mr. Admin. You've been incredibly helpful. The AudioGirls
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: