macProVideo.com
Forums
  • JulianM
    Syncing audio to movie
    I have (as mentioned in other threads) a fairly huge project that involves about 18 hours of film. With this I also have the same amount of audio recorded on a Zoom H4. First off after multiple attempts I'm finding FCP X's auto sync is giving pretty poor results. This maybe about the format of the audio or the steps its gone through to get it to 48K from the original mp3. I honestly didn't expect it would be needed or I wouldn't have recorded in mp3! Anyways syncing the audio manually is good for about 5 to 10 minutes or so and then it begins to fall too obviously out of sync. Can anybody suggest a better way forward than to find various reference points (claps, coughs etc) and add markers to the movie and video files, and then, duplicating the audio as needed, moving the audio to match up the markers? For example if the audio I import initially is much shorter, say in 15 minute sections, instead of the hour long sections I currently have (one per hour long miniDV tape), do you think FCP X's auto sync would do a much better job? Or is that still too long? One of the problems with the original camera audio is excessive traffic noise, which is much lower on the H4 recording, simply because it was closer to the source. This could be why the auto sync isn't able to marry things up maybe? As before I'm going to have to do a LOT of this so if it's ultimately going to save a bunch of time to go back into Logic and cut up the H4 audio then I'd rather do that from the beginning than wish I'd asked this question hours and hours of work down the line. Thanks guys!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Syncing audio to movie
    definitely clean up the audio in Logic first and export it to 16 bit, 48kHz aiff or wave file. If your project settings are setup ok then it shouldn't fall out of sync... Unless I've misunderstood the problem?
  • JulianM
    Re: Syncing audio to movie
    Maybe . . . I suppose I'm asking two questions really: Firstly, given two clips of similar though not exactly the same length (approx 59 minutes) both 16bit 48K audio and both recording the same event, one being camera audio and one Zoom H4 audio, does FCP X do a reliably accurate job of syncing them? My experience so far is that it doesn't. I question whether this is because I went from the H4's original MP3 recording to 44.1 (an accident because its my default Logic setting) and then exported to 48K. Or if its because there's so much traffic noise on the camera audio that FCP X is having problems even recognising them as containing the same audio. Hmmm - answering my own question sort of - there's a point early on in the audio where the speaker coughs. This is relatively easy to manually sync to using a couple of markers, one on the video and one on the H4 audio. However despite this sync being pretty precise, ater five minutes its falling out of sync very slightly and 10 minutes in it's quite noticeable. So something's not right, but I'm foxed if I know what! The second question is more about best working practice assuming I have to manually re-sync the audio. Given the above I'm looking at having to find roughly 12 points in an hour of movie (5 minute intervals) at which I can marry up the H4 audio to the video, I'd appreciate any tips you guys may have on doing this as efficiently as possible. For example I wish FCP X had something like Logic's Locators so I could easily cycle a chosen section of the video! cheers and sorry this is so long!!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: