macProVideo.com
Forums
  • shadebug
    Transparent Text
    Hi guys, this is my first time so sorry if I'm doing something wrong. I'm learning to use FCPX at the moment and I'm working on a project which is a recreation of the Angel TV show's title sequence. I think I've got most of the effects and everything down except the way the text works. In that sequence the text itself is actually the background video, as if a stencil had cut out the top layer of video to reveal what's underneath. I can see the stencil cut that allows me to do that, but I can only work out how to get it to do that on a black background showing the video underneath, so is there a way for me to get it to do that to layered video? I do have Motion as well so if it has to go that way round then that's not a problem. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Transparent Text
    Hi shadebug, Welcome to the MPV forums! This is a good question. Do you have a link to the Angel TV titles? This might be a good topic for us to cover on The Hub. :) Rounik
  • shadebug
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5dc56_angel-season-5-opening_shortfilms I actually finished the project without managing to implement this so I'm still intrigued. I ended up making a generator in Motion made of a drop zone with a mask to do the background, but I never worked out how to get the text to be included in it, certainly least not in a way I could edit (I just ended up colour matching the text). Lots of people suggested masking the clip instead of the background, but that would've been a hassle since there's normally a few clips per background
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Shadebug, I'll check this out. In the meantime have you downloaded and tried out the fantastic, free FCP X Titles made by Iain Anderson for The MPV Hub: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/mpv-free-stuff-10-terrific-titles-for-final-cut-pro-x[/url] There's an excellent title with transparent text titles which you can also open in Motion 5 to edit it... so it might be easier to reverse engineer it as such. Let me know how you get on. Rounik
  • BenB
    Place the text above the background video. In the Inspector for the Text clip, in the Video tab, the Compositing section, change Blend Mode to either Stencil Alpha or Stencil Luma. This gets the background video to show only in the text, but you'll notice you can't see the main video below those two. Not to worry. Just highlight the text and video clips together, right-click, New Compound Clip. Poof, done, everything works great!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: