macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bzimm3
    Optimizing performance on G5
    Hi Gang, I have been unemployed for close to three years, and find myself in a bit of a predicament. I own a G5 tower with 8GB of RAM and two internal 1TB drives. I cannot afford another system right now, so I need to work with what I have. I have formatted the hard drive and am only installing what is absolutely needed, FCE 4 being one of the applications. I am looking for suggestions to maximize/optimize the tower/software to run as efficiently as possible. Any help is appreciated. Regards, Bryan
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Optimizing performance on G5
    Hi Bryan, What version of OSX are you running on your G5? Aside from a clean install and following procedure like "repair permissions" there's not much to be done in terms of optimising a Mac. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] Hope this helps Rounik
  • bzimm3
    Hi Rounik, I am running 10.5.8, and working with a clean installation. I figured there wasn't more I could do, I just thought I would ask to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thank you for the reply and the link! Regards, Bryan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bryan, The best thing to do is to maintain your Mac the best you can. The link above shows you how to do a simple step to keep things running well. Also, make sure to keep backups of your important files on an external drive... ... and hopefully that should be enough :) Best Rounik
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi bjzdesign, The only other thing I can think of to help you is to check what RPM your 1TB hard drives are. But they are probably 7200RPM. Do the Disk Utility repairs as Rounik mentioned in the links. Unfortunately the G5 PPC units were discontinued a few years back, and Intel units are the future. I would say don't send any more money on your G5 and save up to invest in an Intel unit. Apple are working hard at 64-bit architecture, which will allow us to address way more RAM, and open up performance for video.
  • bzimm3
    Hi Gary, Yes they are both 7200. I downloaded Onyx which was recommended in the link above, and try to run it once a day or before/after a intensive project. I purchased one of the last non-Intel G5 units, and although it is still a workhorse, I have no intentions of putting any money into it. The bummer to all of this is the fact that I am unemployed, so saving up for anything is a mute point. I will just have to make the best out of it, after all it is only a tool. Thanks for the reply!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: