macProVideo.com
Forums
  • BenB
    Re: FCPX useless...switching to Premier 5.5!!
    "...apply a transition(s) on a cropped image and have it work on just that element." You apply a transition to the clip that you've cropped. It's very easy. Either highlight the clip and double-click the transition, or drag-and-drop to that clip. I do it all the time. I have no clue how you're having trouble. Moving connected clips around is easy. If you don't have the control you want, hold the shift key to constrain the movement. Again, very easy. iMacs and MacBook Pros are capable of running FCP X, but due to their lower end graphics cards, limited RAM, are not expandable, and are not the most powerful editing machines. Although a T'bolt drive helps out a lot. Specific questions can be asked in a polite manner. Rants don't help me troubleshoot your issue, as I'm trying to do. I honestly am not sure by your wording what some of your specific problems are. But there you have what I am able to offer.
  • ProPhotog
    Sorry if you think I was not polite, but please try to recognize my frustration as well. I have since found out that most effects and transitions with text being the exemption are applied only globally. Now you are right in that you can do it in Motion, and I will be the first to admit that I have not used this version nearly as much as I used the other version. And of that's because while you can simply right click on most transitions and such and open them up in Motion and do a quick save and its right back in FCPX, you cant do that with any clip in the timeline area...seriously? And that means you have to open the clip or element separately in Motion?!?! This would make all our lives much easier...This is really the crux of my frustration, very simple things like this you only have to ask..."how could not have included that!!!??" But if you in fact can place an image in your timeline area, crop it and make it individually, without effecting the entire frame of view (Background), flip in or spin of any of the other cool transitions included let me know how you do that because I can't. Take Care!
  • BenB
    "how could not have included that!!!??" * Because this is a version 1, and Apple has said that more and more will be added. Even the 10.0.1 update gave us new features in only 3 months. The updates are coming out very quickly. Apple has publicly said they have a ten year development plan for FCP X. No one said there were no growing pains. The next update will give us Multicam again, we'll have output to broadcast monitors soon, also. As well as other enhancements. No NLE was ever full featured in it's version 1. You can also still run FCP 7 on the same system until then. In the Final Cut Pro menu, there's a feedback option you can let Apple know what features you'd like to see, and yes they do in fact read and track those feedback submissions. I expect we'll see round tripping to Motion 5 in a future update. We'll be seeing a lot of more features added and enhanced over the life of FCP X, just like with any NLE. "...can place an image in your timeline area, crop it and make it individually, without effecting the entire frame of view (Background), flip in or spin of any of the other cool transitions included let me know how you do that because I can't." * In the Transform properties. Works just like it did in FCP 7. I can flip with a filter, spin with the Rotation parameter, etc, etc, to any clip in the Timeline without effecting other clips. See "Final Cut Pro X 106 Titles, Effects and Compositing" by Micheal Wohl here on mPV. He covers all of that in this lesson. * Do you have a "specific effect" you're trying to do?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: