macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bjbarn
    Canon XA10 AVCHD and ProRes and RAID Newbie Questions
    this musician is hanging up his guitar to learn video editing, I jumped in with both feet, 3 questions 1. Can folks who have Canon XA10 and FCP7 let me know if things are running smoothly with the transcoding to ProRes at 422 2. Can anyone with a MacBook PRO with 500 GB of drive space let me know the best method for setting up RAID or scratch discs as it sounds like I am in for a gazillion GB of storage space somewhere since the ProRes actually makes the raw footage larger in GB 3. Any general advice for the set up of RODE NTG2, XA10 Garage Band, what monitor to use to film myself from tripod, does XA10 also double as a webcam with Camtasia, and FCP7 in general and a big thanks to macprovideo for taking up all the room in my 16 GB iPad, just joking, love having a classroom in my palm on an airplane!!!!!
  • BenB
    Re: Canon XA10 AVCHD and ProRes and RAID Newbie Questions
    1. Yes, it works just fine. You'll use Log & Transfer to convert the footage to ProRes LT. 2. You will never put your media on your internal OS drive, that's a HUGE no-no! Get a FW800 drive. I highly recommend Other World Computing (.com). Look at their Mercury On-The-Go drives if you need portability. Be sure your drives are 7200rpm, for sure! That is a must! 3. What are you using GarageBand for? What does that have to do with video? You'll plug the NTG2 directly into your camera. As for a web cam, any FW camera can be used as a web cam. Camtasia is the worst app to use on a Mac, BTW. FCP has nothing to do with webcam operations. What specifically are you needing to do?
  • jwatt
    Hi bjbarn - I was wondering if you ever figured out how to use your XA10 as a webcam? I recently purchased an XA10 and would like to do the same thing with it. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • bjbarn
    Haven't tried yet but works great with FCP as a video camera. See my YouTube channel. Barnhrdtgroup
  • bjbarn
    Haven't tried yet but works great with FCP as a video camera. See my YouTube channel. Barnhrdtgroup
  • jwatt
    Thanks. I'll take a look.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: