macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tozyboy
    Should I buy FCP X ? or look for other video editors ?
    Hi, I'm interested in doing some video production/editing. I'm not a pro, and do not need to exchange any specialized file formats. Is FCP X a good choice for me ? or should I consider another application, from Adobe, or other developers ? What do you recommend ? I have been hearing a lot of fuss about FCPX being buggy, and that it is missing some important Pro features (Although, I'm not sure if I need these missing features), so what's the consensus here ? Should I go ahead and buy FCP.X from the Apple App. store ? or consider another Video Editor Applicaton ? Thanks, Muziksculp
  • BenB
    Re: Should I buy FCP X ? or look for other video editors ?
    Specifically what type of video work do you plan to be producing? Have you worked with iMovie at all? FCP X's bugs are being fixed quickly by Apple, the Pro features are coming, it's a great product. Along with Motion and Compressor, it's a great bargain for the little you spend on it. But tell us a bit about what type of stuff you'll be doing, what type of cameras, what type of delivery?
  • Tozyboy
    Hi, Yes I have worked with iMovie, but not a lot. Just experimenting with it. I'm interested in taking various video clips and using them to produce a collage, with unique transitions, effects, ...etc. then add my music. So, basically to produce a few interesting music videos of my music. I might be doing other projects like short movies, or other fun projects in the future as well. Quicktime is the format (.mov) I think will be what I would be using mostly. I don't have a need to exchange with others. Just my own production. I use a (2008 Mac Pro 8 core, 3.0 Ghz, with 24 GB RAM), the Graphics card I'm using is the (ATI Radion HD 5770, VRAM 1024 MB). The Video-Cameras I have are : Canon EOS Rebel T3i Flip-Mino HD iPhone 4 I intend to use most of my video projects for the web, iTube, my Website, my Blog, and Vimeo. So, would FCP X be a good choice for this type of work ? and is it very stable/reliable application at this time ? or should I wait for the next update ? Thanks, Muziksculp
  • BenB
    FCP X would be excellent for that. I also write my own music, but rarely do I do music videos for my own stuff. When I do, it's for other artists music. I would highly recommend doing real training such as Micheal Whol's FCP X video course here at macProVideo. You'll probably want to learn Motion 5, also. It's easier to learn than most folks lead on. While learning FCP X, you can download the 30 day trial version. It doesn't come with all the extra content, and I think export is limited, but I'm not sure. At least you could spend time with it before spending the money. But yes, I think FCP X would be great for what you plan to do.
  • Tozyboy
    Hi, Thanks for the helpful feedback. I think I will just buy FCP X from the Apple App.Store, and learn how to use it via MPV's FCP X tutorials. Two more general questions : Q1. What is 'Motion 5' good for ? Q2. Does FCP X offer some unique video effects like changing the video images to posterized /or other types of surreal effects, or do I need another application for adding this type of special effects to my video clips ? Cheers, Muziksculp
  • BenB
    A1: Motion graphics and effects, as well as creating all the FCP X templates as explained in A2. A2: Yes indeed, and you can customize them and/or create your own from scratch easily when FCP X is paired with Motion 5. All effects, transitions, generators, titles are specialized Motion 5 templates, so the two apps are very tightly integrated with each other. I'm hoping macProVideo will start a Motion 5 form soon, also. I will be doing a Motion effects techniques tutorial at my January "Louisiana Cajun Cutters FCPUG" meeting next week. You can see previews at our site LouisianaCajunCutters.net. I strongly recommend doing proper training for Motion 5, as well as FCP X, but Motion 5 is a more complex app. It can be simple to learn the basics and easy to use at first. But you can also get very deep and advanced in it and do pretty much anything you can do with After Effects. AppleMotion.com has some free quickie tricks videos to give you a better understanding of what Motion can do. But, I warn you, a proper well rounded training program is pretty vital to really getting in to Motion.
  • Tozyboy
    Thank You BenB For answering my questions, and the additional helpful info you provided. As you have recommended, I will study both (FCP X and Motion 5) via training videos. Hopefully, I will be able to produce some interesting, and high-quality music videos for the web by using both FCP X and Motion 5. Cheers, Muziksculp
  • BenB
    Please keep us updated on what you post! And feel free to ask questions here as you do your productions. Looking forward to seeing your work! Most of all, Have Fun!
  • Tozyboy
    FCP X (10.0.3) is out ! Read more about it here : [url]http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/headlines/Apple-Reinvents-Multicam-Editing-in-Final-Cut-Pro-X-10-0-3-Update_13655.html[/url] Good News for those who are still using FCP 7. I'm still learning FCP X and Motion 5, but looking forward to begin using them creatively. Cheers, Muziksculp
  • BenB
    http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/review-fcp-x-1003-update
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: