macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Zeus
    Sharpening Footage
    Hello, I have some video that I need to sharpen. I am new to plugins Which plugin should I use? When I download a plugin does it automatically embed intoFCut.... Is there any else that I need to know? Thankyou Peter
  • BenB
    Re: Sharpening Footage
    FCP X doesn't use Plugins any longer, it uses specialized Motion 5 templates. So if you see folks on forums referring to effects, generators, titles, transitions, it's what we used to call plugins. Plugins are written using a specialized scripting program code, such as FXScript. With FCP X and Motion 5 us end users can do it all on our own, you just have to learn Motion, which is way easier than learning a programing language. There is a Sharpen effect inside the Blur category. CHV's "Quartz Integration" has some much better sharpening effects for a good price. Be aware you can only sharpen so much, you can't make horrible footage perfect. Only improve it to a degree. The larger developers will give you an "installer" that will place the effects in the correct places. They all go in [User Folder] > Movies > Motion Templates > and then into the appropriate folder there. Freebies you can find online (and there are tons of great ones, such as at fcp.co) should come with instructions on where to put what. It's not difficult to learn the system. Motion 5, if you're really interested. Because all of this stuff comes to FCP X via Motion 5 and you can customize any of them, and create your own from scratch.
  • Zeus
    Do I have any options in motion 4
  • BenB
    Yes, you do, very much. I'm on the road but will post some info about sharpening in Motion 4, and some recommended basic plugins. Give me a couple of hours. I just didn't want to leave you hanging.
  • Zeus
    Thanks
  • BenB
    OK, in Motion 4 you have Sharpen and EdgeSharpen. Library tab, highlight Filters on the left, ALL on the right, then type "sharp" into the search field. It should show them to you. The only two plugins I ever recommend if you just want stuff are CoreMelt Complete V2, and CHV Quartz Composer Integration FX. CHV, Nattress, CoreMelt and Noise Industries are my favs. But CoreMelt and CHV Quartz are my top picks.
  • Zeus
    Hey Ben, is the core melt complete package a good one to get for $ 200 and I think the sharpen tools are in the filters tab. also does it embed directly into FC. Also I really appreciate your help, thanks. My company is new this year and I am making every mistake in the book, but learning. Peter
  • BenB
    If you can afford it. If not, look over the individual effects, get only what you "need". I say these are my 2 must haves. But, if you're on a budget, only buy what you need for a client's job, and work the prices of that plugin into your job fee to the client. If clients are not paying for your stuff, you're losing money.
  • Zeus
    I download the free trial of core melt but the sharpen categories are still the same, there is a whole bunch of other great stuff, both in motion and FC. am I looking in the wrong place?
  • BenB
    Third parties will not add to the existing categories, they always make their own. As for sharpening specific filters, you'll not get much beyond what is included. Sharpening is straight forward, and you'll only be able to go so far with it. Remember, if a clip needs to be "fixed", only expect to "improve it somewhat", not make it 100% better.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: