macProVideo.com
Forums
  • uklima
    Final Cut X and hard disk space
    Well guys, I'm finding the FCP X great, better than 7, have opposing views here in the forum, but that's okay. At the moment I'm the biggest problem is finding one: Disk Space. How to work a lot with events, especially weddings, which are usually 5 or 6 files, tapes, or equal size cards, so I'm passing the problem of every wedding to be occupying the space of about 3 or so in the old program. As I can not raise the price of the service, to offset the hds more, I'm creating this topic to see if anyone has any idea on how to get rid of files that can be deleted after it's done the work, to vacate the HD. At 7, I have done many times was deleting files render, worked well as a large space freed in HD, but for two times I could not open the CF again, crashed, hence stopped doing that. Has anyone tried something like the X?
  • BenB
    You can go to the File menu and delete renders for Events and Projects. FCPX runs on top of the old Final Cut Server database engine for using metadata so powerfully. This will use up some extra space. Drive space must always be factored into the price of any video production. I find many videographers take drive space for granted. Some include a small drive into their price, and simply hand that to the client as part of the deliverables. Most set a date in their contracts as the final date to submit change requests. When that date comes they delete the whole project. Maybe only saving the final QT output file. With FCPX you either copy the original files into the Event, and that's it. Some optimize and don't use the originals. But there's no real need usually to keep both. When you're finished with a project, but want to keep it for awhile, right click its Event folder, and Compress that folder. Then delete the original folder. The .ZIP file you're left with may save a little drive space. Repeat with the associated Project folder.
    That's great advice, BenB. I haven't had drive issues, but the "compress Event" tip was new on me. Pretty cool. -Andrew
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: