macProVideo.com
Forums
  • not-an-editor
    T2i and 7D: HD vs SD capture in Final Cut Express timeline
    Hello All, I'm not a professional editor but I thought it'd be a good idea to pretend otherwise while working on a project of mine. I'm not sure if I missed some sort of crucial step along the way, but maybe someone here can help me. We had a 2-camera shoot using a T2i and a 7D. I imported the clips into Final Cut Express, dragged them into my timeline, edited them, and now I'm trying to export an uncompressed version of the movie but it appears as though the footage I've been editing in the timeline has been compressed -- it's not as sharp-looking as the rough clips, and although the exported file is 1920 x 1080, it's grainy and pixelated. Is there something I'm missing here, and is there an easy-ish fix? Thanks.
  • BenB
    Re: T2i and 7D: HD vs SD capture in Final Cut Express timeline
    1st, those cameras record H.264 which are not officially supported as editing formats by FCE. Long-GOP formats also fall apart with transcodes and such very quickly. You need to use Log & Transfer with the Canon plugin to convert them to ProRes LT for editing. The camera records compressed H.264, so why are you trying to export uncompressed? It doesn't add anything to your video quality, and eats up more drive space. You want to import, edit, and export ProRes LT, which will not lose any image quality at all.
  • not-an-editor
    Great, thanks for the reply and the information. My movie is a non-scripted dramatic feature and I knew I'd be moving out of country before I'd get a chance to work with an editor to complete it. I figured I'd assemble the rough cut myself and at some point down the line I'd pass the project along to an actual professional editor to work on his/her own rough version, and then we'd collaborate on the final polished version So, given that, the error isn't the worst thing in the world but it's still annoying. Thanks again for the info -- I'll make sure to not make the same mistake next time.
  • BenB
    Uncompressed won't do you any good, just leave it as H.264. The codec doesn't matter, H.264l DSLR is universal. And if you colaborate, you're probably going to work with someone using Final Cut, or an NLE that can ingest Final Cut's exported XML file. You don't need to change anything. Export as is, or use ProRes. Most everything supports ProRes 422 now.
  • not-an-editor
    Thanks. I've exported the movie a couple of different ways and they always came out looking low quality compared to my rough footage. I assume it's because I didn't log and transfer with the Canon plugin. Is there an easy-ish fix to this, or will I have to re-log and transfer my footage and re-edit the entire thing from scratch to achieve the best quality export?
  • BenB
    Yes, use the Canon Log & Transfer plugin to go to ProRes LT or to standard ProRes 422. Also, how do you know your footage looks low quality? Are you opening it up in QT Player, and making sure the screen is 100%, and NO larger than that. I know folks will look at clips on a computer screen at 150-200%, and of course there is a degradation, you're blowing up the physical size. You don't have to re-edit. Re-ingest the media properly. Then use the Reconnect Media function to reconnect the new clips to what's in the Sequence.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: