macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ritag
    FCP X Menu Buttons to Chapters
    Hi, I have the Trial FCPX and working slowly through it, downloaded the macprovideo introductory tutorial.....all Good. Have been using Pinnacle Studio 11 in the past. Just before I purchase full version FCP can anyone tell me: a: Can you create Chapters within the Video and then create Menu Buttons so viewer can jump to a specific chapter of DVD. b: I have MacBook Pro with 4 Gig RAM should I upgrade to 8 Gig Ram? (I also have bootcamp, 500Gig hardrive divided into 125Gig Windows and 325Gig Mac). 2.66 Ghz intel core i7 Processor. NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M, Intel HD Graphics, VRAM (Total): 288 MB c: Storage?? This is a difficult one as I'm doing an overland trip from Glasgow to Sydney - 5months and will be producing several DVD's as documentaries during the journey. I will be using film from various cameras and stills, editing and using what I require. I need to store all this footage and photos (all only HD). My thoughts: 3 x 2 Terabyte External Hard Drives with Firewire 800. Can I work from these in FCPX? Anyone have a better solution or any advice at all, I am a novice and have 3 months to learn all this?
  • BenB
    Re: FCP X Menu Buttons to Chapters
    A- No, you can not. But Toast 11 Pro gives some very excellent tools for creating SD and Blu-Ray DVDs. B- Yes, the more RAM the better FCP X will run, as it eats up lots of RAM when it is available. Partitioning drives slow them down, just FYI. Be sure in FCP X's Preference to set for better playback rather than higher quality, and use Proxy media for videos if possible. You'll get much better performance. C- You should put all Events and Projects on a drive that is NOT your system drive. Yes, FW800 will work, but will have it's limitations. Use a RAID 1 enclosure for redundancy in case one drive dies. But you won't see great speed improvements with a RAID via FW800. If you have a newer MBP, get a Thunderbolt drive. LaCie has a 1TB and 2TB that are not overly expensive. Promise has much larger, more expensive options. Also remember that with RAID, you don't get the full capacity of the physical drives, as some of your capacity is used for redundancy. So plan by "available storage capacity", not the total physical capacity of the caliphs drives. Other World Computing can help you out if you give them a call. Spend as much time learning and using your system as you can before leaving for your trip. Never test workflows or software while you're in the middle of a production.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: