macProVideo.com
Forums
  • janthenat
    SSD for OS, Final Cut X and Premiere Pro
    Our install will consist of Mac OS, Office 2011, Final Cut X, Motion, Compressor, CS6 Master Collection. Our process includes all video production being done using external drives. I'm trying to decide if the 256GB SSD internal drive option will be sufficient for the install we have in mind. I know all the software will fit, with plenty of room to spare, and we'd like to take advantage of the increased performance of a SSD boot drive, I'm just a little concerned about the capacity. Maybe 256GB is perfectly fine since all production will be from and to external storage? What thoughts or suggestions do you all have? Thanks.
  • BenB
    Re: SSD for OS, Final Cut X and Premiere Pro
    SSD internal drives are much faster than spinning disk drives, but are very expensive. If you're media drive, of course needing to be a secondary drive, is external, you'll see some improved performance, but I'm not sure by how much. The only apps you're really notice a performance increase with, technically (as opposed to psychologically) are the video apps. I'd look at your current internal system drive, what is it's capacity, how much of that capacity is free space now? Remember you must maintain at least 10-15 percent of any drive's capacity as free space at all times.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: