macProVideo.com
Forums
  • mpv_user_201119 fcp
    fcp x export questions
    I have two questions. First, I'm trying to export a 20min 1080p video to view on a 3rd gen ipod touch. When I output the file either through compressor or in final cut it takes around six hours! This cannot be right something must be wrong. I have export tons of videos and not one has taken this long. I'm using an Imac 3.4 GHz i7 quad core with 4 gb of mem, 256 ssd and 1TB hhd, and 2gb AMD vid card. Second question, I have an 15" macbook pro and would like to do offline editing on it, how can i accomplish this? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks Rob
  • BenB
    Re: fcp x export questions
    How heavy are the filters and keyframes on that project? Using any third party plugins? I'd let the export go, let it run, that estimated time can change a lot during the export, drastically. I'm sure it won't take 6 hours "really". When importing your footage, be sure to check off to make Proxy media. In the Final Cut Pro menu > Preferences > Playback tab, switch the "Playback" parameter from Optimized/Original to Proxy. FCP then points to your proxy files. Change it back to Optimized/Original when you're ready to output, and it'll point to the full resolution clips.
  • mpv_user_201119 fcp
    thank you for your reply. In regards to the the exported video it does have filters and and lots of camera movement, I let my kids do their own road trip video, i wanted to teach them how to edit. i let the video run for about 4 hours and it said it was only 50 percent finish. I guess its all the cam movements and filters. I'm used to final cut 7 so i did not know if there was something i had to change in fcp x. In regards to offline editing would i take the proxy files from my iMac and copy then into my MBP? I watched the FCP X tutorial and i believe this is what is shown.
  • BenB
    Wow, that is an extraordinarily long time to export 20 minutes of anything. Be sure you have Background Rendering turned off (at all times). If you look at the background tasks before exporting, make sure nothing is being transcoded or analyzed or anything, before exporting. Also, are you editing with the original native media, and if so, what is that format? (What camera did y'all shoot it with) And be sure all Events and Projects are on the secondary drive, not on the system drive. You want to bump that RAM up to at least 8GB, too. Anything less than 8GB RAM will stress out with FCP X and Motion 5. As for proxy media, you can't simply copy it from one machine to another. If it's on an external drive (Events and Projects) then moving the drive to the laptop will be just fine. If you've got Events and Projects on an internal drive, you'll have to duplicate the Project to an external drive, and use either the "include events" or "include only used media" options. Don't manually copy things on the Finder level. This can cause issues. Each Event and Project in FCP X is a database. Each database has a unique ID number. When FCP X constructs these internally, each has it's own ID. If you copy it in the Finder, you end up with multiple Events / Projects that have the same ID number, and FCP X will actually fuss at you about it, and only allow one version to load up at a time. If this is an existing Project, duplicate is inside the Project Library as I said, targeting your external drive. Then go to the Event that FCP X created on that drive for the media, right click the Event, and chose "Transcode Media" and select Proxy.
  • mpv_user_201119 fcp
    thanks for the advice. I was about to copy the folder from the finder, however after looking at more videos on here I saw that i should duplicate as you have said. The camera i used is a canon T2i and the footage is 1080p. I will also increase the memory on both laptop and Imac. all my footage on my imac is saved to the secondary drive. FCP X is a lot different then 7 i just have to learn how to use it better. Thanks again.
  • BenB
    That camera records native QuickTime H.264 files you can directly import. That can be stressful for lower end Macs, and will take longer to export. It's what's called a "Long-GOP" format, if you're familiar with why that matters. Anyway, converting to "Optimized" or "Proxy" media would help those machines edit with better performance, and export much faster. Just because an NLE will edit a video coded natively, doesn't always mean it's a good idea to do that. I think its great that you're teaching your kids to edit and make their own videos. It's the literacy of the future. Always exciting to hear parents and kids doing these things together, and that kids are learning on a real Pro application. I'm sure y'all are having a lot of fun. Really great to hear!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: