macProVideo.com
Forums
  • msf004
    MP4 File Help Needed
    I have a dozen Samsung HD camcorders that I have been using to record various events. When recording, the camera breaks the files into 2 GB chucks; no problem as I use MPEG Streamclip, or other software to join the files together into one large file to import into FCP. However, every so often one of the 2 GB files is not readable by MPEG Streamclip (which means Quicktime cannot read it either). If I open the file with VLC it plays just fine, but it will not play with Quicktime and will not open with MPEG Streamclip. If I use other video conversion software the "corrupt" file will not play either; however again, it will play fine in VLC, Can anyone offer suggestions or a solution on how I can repair this one file? A few facts: - this happens repeatedly on occasion - meaning this is not a one-time corrupted file situation. Thus, I need to find a solution for when it does happen. - The file that causes me problems can be played, in it's entirety, via VLC. - Because of this one troublesome file it keeps me from using the footage as I cannot join all of the 2 GB files via the multiple video conversion software programs that I have (I have tried some 6 different conversion programs). - the video was captured with Samsung H300 HD camcorders - these camcorders do not have Mac software (to my knowledge). The video WILL also play fine on the camcorder. - the corrupted file will generally play in Quicktime up to a certain point in the video at which point the video freezes, but the audio continues. Any thoughts, feedback, or assistance is greatly appreciated!
  • BenB
    Re: MP4 File Help Needed
    Does this happen with one specific camera, or does it happen to all of them occasionally? If it's one specific camera, it's a bad camera writing bad files. Not much you can do about it. A consumer camera like that isn't the most reliable, so my guess is that all of your cameras do this occasionally. I'm not aware of any software that repairs corrupted H.264 files.
  • msf004
    It actually happens to all 12 camera periodically. I cannot find rhyme or reason; however, it happens to all of the cameras. Again, what I find odd, or frustrating, is that the videos are viewable w/o problems in VLC and on the camera. ...but that does not help me much when I am trying to get them into FCP.
  • BenB
    Well, they're also not playing back properly in QT Player, either, as you've stated. I suspect Samsung is doing something proprietary with their encoding, which is common to consumer cameras. I'm not sure I have a solution. All I can think of is track your SD cards and make sure it's not one or more cards having glitches. The camera itself is not on Apple's supported camera list. Most consumer level cameras aren't, though. You may want to check out FFMPEG X and see if that will transcode those problem clips.
  • Bejygai
    I use Elgato Turbo264 to resqe bad filés À remak you needs to make à full copy Of the whole SD -card ALL files and Dir
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: