macProVideo.com
Forums
  • csinclair
    Creating duplicate "To-Go" Events/Projects for mobile
    I'm editing a project on an office 3TB drive. I want to take only my Proxies in FCPX, put the Proxies, Event and Project on a smaller second drive, edit at home, then drop my new Project file on the office 3TB drive, and boom, I'm updated and keep editing. I've read the dangers of duplicating things via the Finder and after trying it that way ran into relinking nightmares. Duplicating via FCPX requires copying both original media and proxy versions, and my to-go pocket drive doesn't have enough space for all the original media as well. I just want to copy and use proxy media. An offline edit of sorts. What's the step by step to doing something like this? Thanks, Chris.
  • BenB
    Re: Creating duplicate "To-Go" Events/Projec...
    Each Event and Project is a database, and they are given unique ID numbers by FCP X. Duplicating via Finder duplicates the same ID number. Only one project/event with that ID can be mounted. When FCP X duplicates/copies events and projects, it gives the database a new ID number. Here's what I'd do. I'd copy that Event folder to my pocket drive in the Finder, but not the original media, just the proxy stuff. Then copy the project folder to the pocket drive, manually in the Finder. Just don't launch FCP X on the office machine with that Pocket drive attached. Now, when you get home, open that Pocket drive, edit. When done, go into the Project folder, find the CurrentVersion.fcpproject file, right click it, select Compress. This gives you a nice ZIP version you can email anywhere. Throw it on a thumb drive. Now, in your office system, back up that CurrentVersion.fcpproject file by moving it to a different folder. Place the newer version from home in the proper location, un-zip it, launch FCP X. It's be nice if we had a "Duplicate Only With Used Proxy Media" option for projects, but we don't yet. Fill out the feedback page and Apple may do it eventually.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: