macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hamish H
    optimised media - what is it?
    Hey all The FCp manual says if you choose to optimise your footage on import it converts it to ProRes format. But which one? reason I ask - i am using compressor to convert MPEG2 files (which FCP can't import) into ProRes. I chose 422 (HQ) as the format. Then when I import the file into FCP it still gives me the option to optimise the media. Does this mean FCP is converting the media to 4.4.4.4? Thanks heaps Hamish
  • Hamish H
    Re: optimised media - what is it?
    Hello again I just found out it stays the same. When importing the file (not from camera), FCP gives the option to optimize the footage because it doesn't know waht file I'm going to choose. So the option isn't greyed out. When I checked the imported footage it was still 422HQ. I also tried importing the file without optimizing, then choosing file > transcode media once it was imported. Doing it this way FCP wouldn't let me optimize the media, becasue it had already analysed it as being prores. Sweet as. time to edit Hamish
  • BenB
    Re: Re: optimised media - what is it?
    MPEG footage should be transcoded as ProRes 444. 4444 and HQ are a waste of transcode time and file size. And I'd just let FCP X trancode to ProRes on import. What is the source of thee MPEG files? Even if you have the option to Optimize, FCP won't. Even if Optimize is checked, it will only optimize footage that needs it. ProRes, DVCPRO-HD, etc, that is already all I-Frame formats will simply be used as is.
  • Hamish H
    Hey Ben Thanks for the reply, I'll choose 444 from now on. The files are from Prelinger Acrhives, FCP won't let me import them , but Compressor can change them into soemthing FCP accepts. Cheers Ben! Hamish
  • BenB
    No idea what Prelinger Archives are, but yea, make a Droplette in Compressor, save time.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: