macProVideo.com
Forums
  • gretta
    keystroke for event browser
    I have the Event Browser sorted into reels. I am going thru and renaming the clips. I can't figure out how to close all the 'bins' except the one I am working in. FCPX seems to open them all up sort of randomly; can't really figure out when or why⦠Is there a keystroke to close them all? (like option-something?)
  • BenB
    Re: Re: Re: keystroke for event browser
    How are you sorting by "reels"? There are no "bins". Do you mean Smart Collections, Keyword Collections? They don't open randomly. Be sure to verify the Event display settings. It is the action menu (icon is a gear) below the Event Library/Browser. Verify all those settings are to your liking. If they continue to, in fact, open randomly, I'd get "Preference Manager" free from Digital Rebellion (dot com), use it to delete FCP X preference files. Then relaunch FCP X and adjust things as you wish. It gives you a fresh start. When you open a hard drive, if it was closed with all Events closed, it will open with all Events still closed. Open a hard drive in the Event Library with the Option key held down, everything will be open/expanded. Close a hard drive in the Event Library with the Option key held down, everything will close up. The next time you open that drive, all Events will be closed up.
  • gretta
    Re: keystroke for event browser
    Under the Action menu, I have 'group clips by reel' chosen, so I get the event/browser window (is that what it is called these days?) filled with reel names, and within those are the clips. I call them bins, because what else are they? the reel names don't come up as keywords and I haven't made any smart collections.[url=http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/upload/upload/server/php/savedfiles/files/mpv_40748_178663_two.jpg] [img]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/upload/upload/server/php/savedfiles/thumbnails/mpv_40748_178663_two.jpg[/img] [/url] I think I have discovered that the problem with the 'bins' or whatever opening and closing and randomly flipping me to the bottom of the list as I am naming these clips, has something to do with the mouse-over properties. I am using a Wacom tablet and I think I am swiping the pen over something as I move to the keyboard to type the names. will explore this behavior more. Another question for the geniuses who decided to change all the nomenclature: if a sequence (which changes every day, and can be just a scene or two) is now a project, what do I call the film as a whole I am editing? It was my latest film/video project, but now what? thankful for all your help
  • BenB
    Re: keystroke for event browser
    My "Managing Media" for FCP X course teaches you all about the logic behind the firm structure FCP X uses. It is not that difficult, but it is different, and works for digital media much better, faster to deal with. [url]https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/finalcutprox204-managing-media[/url] I'll just make a few comments here: No "Bins" or folders or whatever you used to call them. That was nomenclature from the old days of cutting negatives anyway and no longer applies. We have Events, Keyword Collections, Smart Collections, Analysis Collections, but they all work basically the same way, are way faster, way easier to deal with. There are no more Sequences, another outdated term that doesn't progress digital media. The closest thing to a Sequence is a Compound Clip. Projects are not Sequences in any manner. Remember we work on a "Timeline" model now. Even and individual clip can be opened into its own timeline. We have various containers for grouping clips together (Multicam, Compound, Sync, Project, Clip, Storyline), which lend to faster, easier digital media workflow. If your collections are "flipping" you to the "bottom of the list", you may be accidentally hitting a column header, which causes a group to go from ascending to descending. And no, the name of a Sequence does not change every day. We simply don't have that specific type of virtual container any longer. What do you call your production project? Whatever you want to call it. Is it a "film"? It is if you're shooting on celluloid film. Is it a movie? Probably. What you call it is up to you. In FCP X we simply work with hard drives, then Events and Projects, then our Timelines. I'm not really sure that I understand the actual question. I apologize. I'd also highly recommend doing the Micheal Whol FCP X video courses here. You'll have progressed way beyond these basics very quickly. Proper training saves lots and lots of frustration and delay down the road.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: