macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bsar
    EVENTS
    Hey, I am a previous user of final cut classic and adobe premiere pro. I made the switch to final cut pro X and I cannot wrap my head around the Events Library. It seems so unorganized and Very different than what I am used to. I have alot of older footage organized by date and alot of raw camera files that i would like to revisit. I feel like the organization is so different that I wont even import any files without first figuring out a proper organization scheme. I normally just organize by Year Month and Date. I would love to import all files that I have already transferred to .MOV files off of my camera. Rather than individual events I would like to make a Library of footage organized by year, month and date. I am also confused by Importing. as It saves the imported files in the events Library. I would prefer If i could save it to my Transferred Media folder by year month date... I am stuck on something that should not be so difficult.
  • Bsar
    Re: EVENTS
    Also if anyone has Used Lightroom and you know how the organization works in that program. Is FCPX similar? I want to be able to use all files how they are already organized and named on my hard drive and not affect the files through using FCPX. I have a file naming scheme and system in place that I am used to and I like. I do not want to have to change the way I organize
  • Bsar
    Have been watching the Tutorials on managing media and it is Helping. I just have some questions that cant be answered without a human being as I go through my issues hhaha
  • BenB
    You are not forced into any specific organizing scheme with FCP X. It is more flexible and faster than anything else. You can create an Event for anything you wish, name it anything you wish. You can create one massive Event (not suggested) and organize inside of it as you wish. Since you're organizing by Creation Date & Time, you can set your Events and Browser to organize that way automatically. There is a button below the Library & Browser that is a drop-down menu, which allows you to set this up in a variety of ways. When importing you are not forced to Copy To Event Folder. You can leave that unchecked, and FCP X will simply "link" to the original file where ever it is. You can also use the "Import Folders As Keyword Collections" to keep files organized as you have already done in the Finder. What "specific" questions do you have? We're here to help!
  • Bsar
    Basically I want a Browser that shows whats on my drive.for example, I have folders named 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Within each of those folders I have exported all the camera Raw files that I wanted to keep as .MOV files into their individual Date Folders. I have a Hierarchy of named files that i would like to bring in as is. My other issue when i want to capture raw files from my Camera, I want to capture them to my hierarchy of folders but it wants you to put them in event folders right in the browser when all i want to do is put the new .MOV files in its own folder on a seperate drive that the event folder will be on. And then upload them to the browser in their original location. I am frustrated.. I wont even start a project before i get my organization down I also want to do this with my Go Pro folder hierarchy
  • BenB
    Every NLE has its media handling paradigm. FCP 7 forced you to only one drive and one main folder. Every NLE forces you into some paradigm. Yes, if you want to Optimize on import, it goes into your Event folders. I strongly recommend my Media Management course here at mPV. Understanding how the FCP X database structure works could give you some insight into what your options are. [url]https://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/finalcutprox204-managing-media[/url]
  • Bsar
    Re: Re: EVENTS
    I think I am having a problem with the fact that I am not able to choose a folder to import the files to. from camera raw file to a .MOV I prefer to save my files outside of final cut pro events folder. Do i have to import and then move it from final cut events folder to the drive and folder of my choice? And then create an event inside final cut pro, named by the date of the folder and import the files back as references? by the way, I have been watching the managing media tutorials and they are helping so far..
  • BenB
    Re: Re: EVENTS
    You can build any folder hierarchy in the Finder you want. Again, as I've already pointed out, you can then leave the clips there, import into FCP X with the "Copy To Event Folder" option turned OFF. And turn ON the option to import folders as keyword collections. That will do exactly what you are looking for. No NLE will let you "move" clips after they are imported. That requires reconnection processes. You need to FIRST organize the clips in the Finder (on the hard drive), after that, import as you wish. This is all covered in Mr. Wohl's FCP X course here on macProVideo, also.
  • Bsar
    I understand all of what you are saying. I think i am having troubles with the fact that when i want to take camera raw files and then create .MOV files, It makes me save them directly into an event. When what I want to do is save them to a certain folder first on a hard drive, and then import them as an event, using the linked files. I am considering going back to FCP7 but i dont think mountain lion supports it anymore... Was also considering going back to adobe premiere cs6 as both of those programs allow me to create .MOV files and save them where i please not into the FCP events folder..
  • BenB
    ML supports legacy FCP. But I'd question what your goal is in transcoding first, then moving to an external folder, then importing back in? If I new what the goal was, I could give you a workflow. You can always create a droplette in Compressor, use it to transcode, then import. But your workflow is very unusual, and knowing what the goal is would help me give you an answer. Actually, no, those NLE's don't do what you say. FCP 7 forces you to put your media in the Capture Scratch folder. PPro is similar. To do what you say requires the exact same workarounds as FCP X.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: