macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bsar
    Re: EVENTS
    You are right. in FCP7 i had to save to the capture scratch folder, rename and then save onto my external hard drive where i keep all of my camera raw files as well as my camera.mov files in seperate folders.. i do that because if i want to take just the drive somewhere else, i dont have to re export all the files. Or copy them over from my macintosh HD drive. I am fine with keeping the fcpevent files on the actual macintosh HD, but i keep all of my large files on a HD off of the main computer HD and use alias' for all of the video. I think i am just confused why they need to call them events and why they cant just be folders.. Now i have to create Events for each and every folder I have named.. As you said i can also import as keyword collections its just the way i have been doing it forever. I prefer to keep the exported camera raw files seperate from FCP except for alis' i wish i could talk to you on a phone or skype or something just to fully explain, and then you could fully explain why or why not to do what I am doing..
  • Bsar
    I just dont like the fact that I have to create an entire event if I am just capturing files from the camera. I understand the event if you are bringing any file in that is a .mov file already. its basically just importing the folder. the event just stores any metadata info etc which is important.. I guess If i created an event called Capture scratch it would be the same as FCP7? problem is I dont need an event full of files that are offline because i moved them to a different folder on a different drive then reimported all those files as a created event.. I prefer to use alias' I guess another way to solve this is to buy an entire other drive just for FCP events and projects and save all the files the same way i normally do but as events rather than just folders...pretty frustrating. I just want to get down to editing but wont do anything if i dont have the proper organization from the start.
  • BenB
    Events are databases. I think some training about the structure and function of them would help you a great deal. Events are very powerful and efficient cataloging mechanisms for organizing your media. Think of the Event Library as a mini version of Final Cut Server. It is VERY easy to move your Events and Projects to other drives. Simply use the Duplicate command. "I prefer to keep the exported camera raw files seperate from FCP except for alis" You can do that very easily as I've mentioned, by not checking the "Copy To Event Folder" option when Importing. Simply make sure your files are where you will be storing them to start with. Every NLE has its specific paradigm for media management. "Event" is a database, period. You can make one Event for each folder. There is nothing wrong with that. Again, I'd be sure to review the courses here from myself and Mr. Wohl about FCP X's media management system. As with any NLE, you have to conform to how the specific NLE works. I'm not sure what other information I can give you.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: