macProVideo.com
Forums
  • piewo
    Is RAID 0 really worthwhile ?
    Hello. I bought a Lacie 2 Lacie 2Big 8TB Thunderbolt hard drive which comes as a RAID 0 volume, I planned to use this way 0 volume in order to have the full 8TB capacity and a fast reading/writing rate I realise that it is really hard to make partitions out of a RAID volume. Indeed, with the disk as I received it (already formatted in RAID 0) you can't do it in the "disk utilities" from OS X. This is why I ask myself, If having partitions on a RAID 0 disk isn't dangerous ? Could this disk have three partitions and still keep the advantages of the RAID 0 ? In fact now my the big question I'm asking myself is ; Is the RAID 0 really worthwhile when you are only working with audio only, using logic pro and streaming soundbanks ? As a thunderbolt device, Would there be any difference in term of performance between a simple "mac os extended" volume and a "RAID 0" one? So Considering my needs, do you think that I'd better; 1) Format this drive and only use it as a "mac os x extended" volume, so as I can keep the 8TB and make partitions as I want to. 2) Use it as a RAID 0 drive, partitioning it or not. Could you please advice me? Thank you very much. Best.
  • BenB
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is RAID 0 really worthwhile ?
    A "RAID" is an array of drives. "Redundant ARRAY of Inexpensive Disks" Each drive reads and writes a small part of the total data stream, thus as a whole can read/write data streams faster than a single drive. Partitioning a single drive wastes available storage capacity, and slows read/write speeds down. It is normally reserved for environments with security or organizational needs, where speed and capacity are not a concern. You do NOT partition a RAID array, period. You can format a RAID array as any format you wish: Mac OS, Windows, etc. So you "configure" the RAID to a level 0. Then "format" it to Mac OS X Extended & Journaled. RAID arrays are NOT back-up systems. Controller cards can malfunction, more than one drive can malfunction at one time, many, many things can go wrong and cause any RAID array to lose all of its data. * RAID 0 has no redundancy, if one drives fails, everything is lost, but is fastest RAID level. RAID 0 loses no capacity as there is no redundancy requiring storage space. * RAID 1 has redundancy, only one drive can fail, and if the hardware supports it, you can simply replace that drive and it will rebuild itself. Speed difference between 0 and 1 is not noticeable in any way by most systems. RAID 1 loses 50% of total capacity to redundancy. * RAID 5 has redundancy, requires a minimum of 3 drives, can only lose 1 drive at a time before all data is lost, and is normally reserved for larger RAID arrays in enterprise level environments. RAID 5 loses 25% of the total capacity to redundancy. Usually reserved for larger arrays. * RAID 6 is like RAID 5 but can lose 2 drives at one time before losing all data. I'm laying this down as basic information to get you started. If you have any other questions, please ask. Personally, if all you're doing is audio work, even if you're doing video work, leave the LaCie as is, don't change it. But DO get a drive for backups. A backup drive has no need for speed, just has to match the capacity of the drive you're backing up. Again, I can't stress this enough; RAID redundancy is NOT a backup system.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: