macProVideo.com
Forums
  • steven
    how to sync clips to a music track
    hi, I've followed the whole course for FCPX on my iPad. I love making those sports-music synced videos I always begin to remix 1 or several tracks in ABLETON LIVE 8 then I export it as a solid wav file, that's get imported in FCPX this wil be the base for my clips then I set on the music track a lot of (beat)markers to snap the clips of video on my questions; -is this the right way? -is there a better/faster/easier way (maybe even with better interaction between the 2 programs) thanks steven
  • BenB
    Re: how to sync clips to a music track
    Well, it all depends. So you take your music file into FCP X. Lay it into a Project timeline, and then snap your clips to markers you make. Sounds like the way to go. The only alternative for a "music video" is if you are actually recording all of the video yourself. Have a boom box playing the song, have several cameras filming various angles and close-ups, wide shots, etc, at one time. But be sure the cameras are all recording the audio from the boom box, too. Then you can do a Multiclip. But for something that has various unrelated clips to a piece of music, what you're doing is about it. I normally put the music into the Primary Storyline first, since it is spine of the story being told. Then add everything else as Connected Clips. Honestly, there are not right ways or wrong ways. What works for you, is what is right for you. I'd just be sure to export an AIFF file at 16-bit, 48kHz from your DAW.
  • steven
    ok, perfect then I was hoping to get the grid and/or markers from ableton into FCPX to save time and get more precision.. thanks for the reply steven
  • BenB
    You can make markers with the same precision in FCP X.
  • steven
    thats correct, but it would be a time saver to get them from ableton in FCPX thanks for the reply steven
  • BenB
    Unless Abelton can write FCPXML, not going to happen. I time my audio clips inside FCP X with not much issue. I find it very fast.
  • steven
    correct, it's not that much work can ableton 9 write xml to fcpx? i use ableton 8
  • BenB
    No, as far as I know, no DAW is writing out FCPXML yet. We're hoping for a solution from Apple with Logic Pro X or a new audio app. They are working on something, we know that much. They had a position they were hiring for on the Apple web site a couple of weeks ago for an audio programmer to work on an audio app project that would interface "with NLEs such as Final Cut Pro X". But in the mean time, you can export Roles, you can import audio files, that's about it at the moment. The only thing I could think of, is if Abelton exports standard XML that was readable by FCP 7. The "7toX" could translate it. But that would take some experimenting, and there's no guarantees.
  • steven
    thanks for clearing this out! I'll stick to the 'set markers' solution, works fine (I followed the whole FCPX and motion5 courses = great!) greeetz
  • BenB
    Rock on! Let me know when you post a music video! As a composer as well as an editor, I love seeing what people do.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: