macProVideo.com
Forums
  • steven
    editing in 1080p without converting to optimized or proxy
    hi recently, I bought the newest fastest retina macbook pro with SSD hard drive (512gb) and for my workspace I use a brand new lacie SSD (1tb) little big disc, with thunderbolt connection (the lacie little big disc has faster read and write speed than the internal ssd of the macbooc pro) I was hoping this would do to edit the material from action cams recorded in 1080p/30frames (.mov), without converting to proxy or optimized media... the strange thing is that older projects coming from that external HD feel super smooth when editing some final things (in 1080p, without using optimized or proxy) now, when I begin to make some new projects, with new recorded material, the editing in 1080p is not that smooth. and if I want a normal editing feeling, I have to convert to proxy or optimized... (I tested working on the intern and extern SSD) anyone an idea why the older projects run super smooth in original compressed files, and the new generated projects not? has it something to do maybey that they are not finalized jet? what can i do to work smooth with the original compressed files? thanks in advance for any comment
  • BenB
    Re: editing in 1080p without converting to optimized o...
    How much RAM is in your rMBP? What codec are your original clips? What camera do you shoot with? Are you doing longer projects? Personally, I'd optimize with a T'bolt drive to get the best performance. Never put Events and Projects on your internal drive, no matter what type it is. No need for Proxy unless you're using RED or Arri type 4K+ media. Turn off background rendering. Set preferences for better playback, not better quality. You're on a laptop, no matter what it is, the GPU is not as powerful as a tower. And that is the heart of it all. The LaCie is RAID, so it is faster than the single non-RAID internally, that's just a given.
  • steven
    correct, laptops are always behind but, I work on the road most of the time 16GB ram, 2.7 i7 processor clips come from drift action cams, 1080p - 30fr-sec - .mov - H264codec projects are max 10 to 15 minutes with a lot of little clips, effects... indeed, RAID0 for fast performance playback preferences are sat to better playback -background rendering is on, must I then manually render everything when changing to not background render? -I use proxy to save space, when I switch to colour correction I swich to original files
  • BenB
    Re: Re: Re: editing in 1080p without converting to optimized o..
    Original plus proxy is probably taking up more space than only the optimized files. You'll have to measure them to figure that out. I'd have gone with the 2TB LaCie for drive space. The performance is great, I've used them before. Anyway, you'll get better performance just optimizing all that H.264 stuff. No switching between proxy and mega-compressed H.264. Color grading will be easier and not lose quality. Exports will retain better quality and be faster. Remember, H.264 quality falls apart fast when you color grade, add effects, and re-compress a second time on export. So my advice is to do two things right off the bat. First, turn off background rendering, you don't need it, rendering is not needed most of the time. Second, change playback to better performance on a laptop. I'd do these two for sure! Also, be sure all drives have at least 10-15% of their total capacity as free space at all times. Turn off TimeMachine if it is one. Turn off, actually uninstall any antivirus software. Finally, optimize your clips, but that's up to you. But background rendering and playback for performance are really things you need to do on a laptop. Neither should make any difference to your editing.
  • steven
    ok I'll figure some things out and come back with some feedback thanks already working with compressed files is a utopia I think (for the moment)
  • steven
    benB, the setting for playback quality was already set to 'better performance' the optimized media becomes x10 times the original size! did a test with a small project 1 week skiing gives up to 100gb footage (x10 = 1TB...) that was the problem in the first place, with my previous mac. I was hoping to get rid of this problem when buying a brand new flash drive mac + fast external SSD hd I begin to think that this was not a really smart investment and one question is still not answered also tested again with an older finished project. no optimized media made, and when skimming in this project it goes soooo smooth. why is this not with the new projects. I don't understand (also, my brother work on windows with premiere, and always works with the original footage...) again, thanks for your time.
  • BenB
    Without more information, I'm not sure. There has to be some difference between the projects. You "can" work with native H.264 if you want. Be aware you are not getting 100% image quality when you export it. The more effects and color grading you do, the more it falls apart. That is true for any NLE on any operating system. It is the drawback of mega-compression formats. PPro has its issues, too. Its not a trouble free NLE, especially on Windows. At this point, I'd have to see how your projects and events are set up. Check the Project properties, be sure they match the clips. That could be causing some extra work being done under the hood. Are you using any new third party plugins on your clips? New title templates? Something is different between the two.
  • steven
    I use a lot of filters and effects also third party I think using optimized is the best choice but on projects with al lot of footage I'll be forced to use proxy because I'm short on HD space strange it becomes x10 times the space of the original (proxy becomes x1 times the space, but then I need to keep the original to render the project when done)
  • BenB
    Actually, Optimized ProRes files are "normal" size. The H.264 is mega-compressed and technically a "tiny" file, not normal. Proxy is only 1/4 the resolution of "normal" size. Third party plugins can bog down systems, depending on how they're created, how much work they have to do, etc. The only time you need to render (and Optimized requires much less rendering as H.264 originals) is if you really can't get good enough playback to see what your edit looks like. Regardless, exports are always going to play back much better. It is a balancing act. Whatever works best for your specific situation.
  • steven
    I understand that the prores is normal, and the action cams use really compressed files but I cannot understand that my prores becomes that big. if the proxy is 1/4 of the prores (resolution), must the prores than be 4x the size of the proxy (in GB)? or is it normal that the prores is x10 bigger then the proxy (in hd space) I think there is no setting for choosing another in the project properties it is standard set to apple prores422 (render format), but I don't think it has something to do with the convert to optimized media. (sorry for my many questions, I'm 20 years a dj and just last year I'm beginning to roll in the editing-addiction)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: