macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cytocau
    fit to the size of the window in FCPX and Motion 5
    When I import a file into Motion which has not the actual size of my current Motion project, it has been said in one of the tutorials (I guess it was Motion 102.3) that the file starts of by being automatically fit to the size of the window. With many files it works exactly like that at my computer too. But strangely enough not with all files, some appear in the original file size, which means in 100 percent, ergo - depending on the size of the Motion project bigger - or smaller - than the window. This isn not a big thing because at least in the inspector I can always see the correct information. Nevertheless it is kind of irritating, specially because so far I could not figure out a logic or system behind it. So I really do not know when and why it happens sometimes like this and other times like that. There is an issue on the same theme in FCPX and that is even more problematic: E.g. in FCPX I have a timeline/project set up in 1080p. When I dump in that project 720p files it is doing the same like it has been said for Motion. All starts of being automatically fit to the size of the project. So far so good, nothing wrong with that. But in the inspector it always shows me that the scale of the file size is 100 percent! That means as soon as I want to upscale files with a bigger (or smaller) file size then the current project I have no control when I hit the 100 percent of the original file size (well I can guess but that obviously is not really precise if you get my point). I am pretty sure that this can not be correct. I checked the preferences already but I could not figure out something, so I have no idea what is wrong!?
  • BenB
    Re: Re: fit to the size of the window in FCPX and Motion 5
    For me both Motion and FCP X have been pretty consistent with video files. In Motion, go to Preferences, to Project, and you'll see at the bottom is a setting for how Motion should handle the import of graphics (stills). Nothing leaves them at their original frame size, Scale To Canvas Size scales them up or down to fit inside of the Canvas frame size. Videos should import as their original frame size always. Be sure when you start a new Motion project that your first action is Shift-Z so that you see the full Canvas, (fit to window). For some odd reason Motion has never opened up like that automatically. Though it should, you'd think. As for FCP X, the Inspector shows [b]100% of the item's Spacial Conform[/b] setting. For this, in the Inspector, under Video, scroll down to Spacial Conform. There you can set the item to None, which leaves it at it's normal frame size. Fit scales the item so that either the top/bottom, or sides fit inside the Timeline's frame size, so that the whole image will be seen. Fill scales the item so that either the top/bottom, or sides fit inside the Timeline's frame size so that the Timeilne's frame is FILLED with the image, forcing some of it to be outside of the viewable area. Scale will be set to 100% of whatever Spatial Conform is set to, NOT 100% of the item's frame size. I know that can be confusing at first, but once you get how the system works, it actually helps when doing complex composites and effects. Hope this helps.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: