macProVideo.com
Forums
  • steven
    no smooth playback in events fcpx 10.0.9
    hi I'm getting frame-skipping playback of my footage shot with the new gen action cams, blayback in the events. when I play the clips outside fcpx, with quick time, there is no problem. these are files taken with drift and gopro action cams. in 60fr/sec and the highest bitrates. also strange when the playback preference in fcpx is set to 'better quality', than it's a bit better. ? any ideas (I use a macbook pro retina 2,7intel core i7, 16GB ram, 500GB flash memory, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, OSX 10.8.5. the events are stored on a lacie little big disk 1TB flash, connected with thunderbolt.) thanks steven
  • BenB
    Re: no smooth playback in events fcpx 10.0.9
    I have no idea what a "drift" camera is, nor what format it records in. That info would help. 1- Are you optimizing upon import? 2- Are you adding titles, effects, compositing, anything additional to the plain clips themselves? 3- Do you have a second monitor attached? 4- Are other apps open and running at the same time? 5- How much of the Tbolt drive is free space? 6- How much of the internal drive is free space? Set prefs for "Better Performance" to get better playback. To "Better Quality" for better image quality during playback. On a MBP, I'd recommend "Better Performance" due to the GPU built in to it. Is this a 15" MBP?
  • steven
    Re: Re: Re: no smooth playback in events fcpx 10.0.9
    BenB sorry for my late reply had some other stuff on my mind a drift camera is something like a gopro. but I like those more because the ergonomic features (rotating lens, screen, always water proof, better remote, battery time, ...) the gopro's quality is the best, but not that much better. http://driftinnovation.com 1) No, I don't optimize during import. because this takes too much space. but for the clips that I have problems I do it when importing is done, than of course the playback is smooth 2) No, just the raw clips 3) Sometimes, yes. but even wo the monitor the problem occurs 4) Yes, iTunes and mail. but tested it with everything closed. same effect 5) Normal is there 30% always free. in sometimes during short periods it's 10%, but that's the max 6) it's 500GB SSD, and I leave always 80GB free for sure. yes, it's a 15inch MBP about the setting for playback that's the strange thing! when set to 'better quality', the clips play smoother than set to 'better performance'. It occurs when the clips are 60fr/sec or higher. (I film everything in 60 frames on the action cams, because now they can do that all in 1080p) my 2 thoughts about this are why everything plays smooth outside FCPX in quicktime and it's strange that the 'better quality' setting make things play smoother
  • BenB
    The super highly compressed, very high CPU demand codec you're using will behave that way. Update to Mavericks and FCPX 10.1, latest versions, there is a performance gain with those updates.
  • BenB
    Look up the company CoreMelt, they make the plugin.
  • steven
    [quote=BenB]The super highly compressed, very high CPU demand codec you're using will behave that way. Update to Mavericks and FCPX 10.1, latest versions, there is a performance gain with those updates.[/quote] I'm gonna try that. I am a semi pro DJ and the problem is (was), that there was not jet mavericks support for my DJ software. but thats just solved now. First gonna take a few lessons to convert my FCPX library to the new way of 10.1 before updating thanks for the advice
  • steven
    [quote=BenB]Look up the company CoreMelt, they make the plugin.[/quote] don't know what the relevance is to my question but looked a to a few plugins, some cool stuff they have did not jet knew this manufacturer of plugins greeetz
  • BenB
    Lock & Load
  • steven
    the update to Mavericks + FCPX 10.1 did fix my frame-skipping playback! Final Cut feels super smooth even when 'better performance' is enabled, the high compressed action-cam-files play very smooth, without any frames getting dropped... thanks for the advice, greeetz steven
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: