macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Aydyra
    Livestreaming a seminar using a sony camcorder into our iMac and
    I recently saw the (Importing to FCPX) tutorial where Michael Wohd could bring a video feed directly into his iMac. I have asked Apple, Mac and Sony how to do that and they don't have an answer. (I have however found out how to get around the camcorder shutting down to save the battery.) We want to be able to video a few couple hour seminars live for our students. Is that something that anyone is successfully doing with a camcorder and could share how?
  • BenB
    Re: Livestreaming a seminar using a sony camcorder int...
    It must be a Firewire camera, and be outputting timecode. Otherwise FCPX won't recognize the camera. I'd also not rely on FCPX to be a live recording app. That is not its function, although it "can" be done. Look at things like QuickTime Pro 7, or Roxio makes an A/V capture device. Specifically what Sony camera do you have?
  • Tutugoo
    Hi Rich- Ben probably answered your question sufficiently (thanks Ben). But I just wanted to reiterate what he said. FCP is not intended for Livestreaming, even if you did get your camera to communicate with it. The only thing it would enable you to do is record the content to a FCP project, and then distribute an edited version to your students. Which is not what I think you want.
  • Aydyra
    Thanks for your help. I have a Sony CX260V and it does not have a firewire or thunderbolt port. It has HDMI, USB (accessable when you open the viewer, turning on the camera) Externally A/V/R ports and and additional USB plug for downloading from camera. Your right I need more as it would be a live webinar. I'd like to livestream onto the internet with the webinar software for the show and record as we are doing it. Will QuickTIme Pro, or Blackmagic Intensity Extreme allow us to do that? I'll need to get it into FCPX afterwards for editing and archiving too.
  • BenB
    You're trying to do two things at once. Live stream an Internet broadcast, and record the raw footage. Look into something free like UStream to get started. Telestream makes a good live streaming application, which will also record. QTPro won't stream, only record. BMD Intensity Extreme won't do anything but let your computer read the video and audio coming from your camera. You need to find an application that will 1- Recognize an HDMI audio/video input. 2- Record that raw media coming in from the camera. 3- Broadcast it to an Internet live streaming service. This is a very different process than post-production editing, which is what FCPX does. You're going to need to do some homework.
  • Aydyra
    Thanks for the advice. I'll keep researching. And I have been searching, reading , asking and studying...doing my homework everywhere I know to go. I'm open to direction...where would you suggest I point my homework now to get the answers I need. I'm not overly tech savvy and I am committed to learning what I need to know. I have taken dozens of courses at MacProVideo and others...where do I go next coach? Thanks for your help.
  • BenB
    Re: Re: Livestreaming a seminar using a sony camcorder int...
    Start by looking at these: UStream Telestream WireCast Justin.TV Adobe Connect Also, here's a simple example. http://macintoshhowto.com/advanced/how-to-do-a-live-webcast.html Or use one of the pay services, like GoToMeeting, etc.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: