macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hutuwai
    Help with workflow strategy - working with many long clips -
    Hey guys, I'm looking into cutting together a montage using footage from feature length movies. The end result will be a few minutes comprised of fairly short clips, but the source material is many extremely long clips (90-120 minutes.) I'm wondering if you guys have any guidance about how best to deal with large files. I haven't fully crossed over to FCP X, but I'm enticed by the organizational tools and the freedom from rendering (the source files are different codecs, sizes, etc. ) Do you think I should go through each 1-2 hour clip and remove all the parts I won't need, leaving me with smaller more manageable file sizes? Or would it be easier to import everything and sort and organize with FCPX keywords and favorites. I'm hesitant about the latter option because I'm worried I'll be bogged down. The two machines I'll have at my disposal are: Mac Pro (Tower) Processor: 2 X 2.8 Ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon Memory: 10 GB 800 MHZ Laptop: Processor: 2.26 Ghz intel core 2 Duo Memory: 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 Any workflow tips or guidance would be very very much appreciated. Additionally - many of the clips are h264 and avi - I experimented with exporting to Apple Pro Res, but the files got so huge I couldn't work them. With FCP X is it worth the while to convert to a certain codec? I know H264 is an output codec but I have a lot of footage to cull through, so I'm trying to make sure files sizes not get out of control... Thank you very much!
  • BenB
    Re: Help with workflow strategy - working with many lo...
    ProRes gives you "normal" sized files. H.264 and the outdated AVI codec are super heavily compressed and are "abnormally" small files sizes. "Do you think I should go through each 1-2 hour clip and remove all the parts I won't need, leaving me with smaller more manageable file sizes? Or would it be easier to import everything and sort and organize with FCPX keywords and favorites." Well, FCPX is flexible, letting you work how you want. There are no hard rules. It sounds like 1- your files are mega compressed, meaning they'll eat up tons of resources to playback and be difficult and slow. 2 - ProRes "Optimized" media will save you TONS of time editing and exporting in the end. 3 - You may need to chop your mega gargantuan files into manageable pieces. I also have to ask, if this is H.264 and AVI, and copies of feature films, do you have the rights to work with them? BTW, H.264 is an INTERNET codec, not an "output" codec for delivery, except for the web. It really sucks as an editing and post-production codec.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: