macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Eric D - CoralVision
    Working with Tricaster mpeg2 media in FCPX
    Hello forum, I knew this was going to be absurdly difficult, and that's why I have always kept my tricaster media over on PremierePro on a Windows workstation, far away from FCPX. But here I am trying to push through the barrier: I am trying to find a good workflow for tricaster mpeg2 media into FCPX, and of course this is not fun or easy at all. First off, I have no intention to pay $25 bucks extra for the basic ability to playback this common legacy video format. When one buys professional video editing software, the ability to edit common forms of video created by common professional recording devices should be included. Second, shouldn't both apple and newtek be interested in establishing some basic interoperability? Seems like it would be a win-win for both teams. Nevertheless, my question: [b]Have any of you been down this path and can you suggest a workflow that yields optimal results with least possible hassle and time investment?[/b] Right now I am trying this - I am taking the mpeg2 from tricaster into Adobe Media Encoder on my Windows machine and exporting them as uncompressed 10-bit .AVI media. My problems with this right now are A) HUGE files to wrangle (~100GB for ~90minutes of SD video) and B) FCPX is not recognizing the pixel aspect ratio of the file (720x480 widescreen), and of course there is no way to manually adjust the interpretation of the media. Further, I have not gone far enough down this path to definitively judge the image quality and editability of the resulting media, but right now I have a negative outlook... Can anyone suggest a better intermediary file format for ingest? [b][[ TriCaster mpeg2 --> ???? --> FCPX ProRes422 ]][/b] Thanks! Eric D - CoralVision
  • Eric D - CoralVision
    Re: Re: Working with Tricaster mpeg2 media in FCPX
    Hello forum, Here is my solution - I am very happy now! FYI, I do not own the mpeg2 playback plugin thingy and did not expect this media to work at all on this machine based on past experience/problems. However, my whining was premature: I just discovered that not only will Quicktime X open/play the media, but it will save/rewrap the media as .mov very quickly. Judging from my system monitor, and the size of the resulting file, QTX is not doing any transcoding, just resaving/rewrapping, which is WONDERFUL! This means that after this quick step, FCPX imports the media with no problem. The image quality in the "canvas" monitor looks terrible, with chunky blocks and moire as though the media were half-resolution, however, a test export reveals a pristine output. So I am VERY pleased and relieved - now work can proceed without delay! Good luck to anyone else who comes down this path! Eric D - CoralVision
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: