macProVideo.com
Forums
  • srd
    iMovie 6 HD, External Video, External Audio...can't get it
    After playing with my iBook G4, another iBook G4, and a MacBook I've come to the conclusion that Macs won't let you recognize any external audio source if there's already a source in the firewire jack...can someone please confirm or give me another option for recording a high-quality webblog video with my Canon ZR700 and audio technical lavalier? iMovie has no problem seeing the video...no problem with the audio - WHEN YOU CLICK MEDIA (audio only recording) but when you click video capture it says to itself (I speculate)..."you plugged in a firewire device and regardless that you choose the USB audio input in the control panel I will get the sound from FWire". Why? Because when I use the internal iSight it absolutely does capture the external USB audio but when you plug in an external iSight into the Firewire it only uses the audio from the FW. ((And in fact I even found a quote from iMovie 1.0 that says this..."iMovie controls and captures audio and video over this single wireâ??no more cable clutter."...think it's still the same deal in iMovie 6?)) http://www.apple.com/imovie/imovie1.html So is this right or am I just going crazy for nothing (because Apple says there should be no problem using different sources for audio and video but darn if I can make it work... ....oh, and by the way, I've now bought two Canon camcorders because Canon conveniently doesn't tell you that the external audio only works on playback (to narrate) and not when you record (as a webcam). Canon says "We never said these items could be used as webcams...you didn't ask us that!" but guess what...when I asked them "Can I use an external mic when I record?" they said "yes...both the zr500 and zr700 can do that...one has an external mic and the other has external a/v in". Thanks Canon.
  • Zotspot
    Re: iMovie 6 HD, External Video, External Audio...can't get
    I, too, have run into the problem that iMovie apparently will not recognize any external audio source when a DV camera is connected to the FireWire input. Your query was not answered in this forum, so I was wondering if you have found a solution by some other means, and, if so, what?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Zotspot, Do you have issues if the audio source is connected to the DV camera? Cheers Rounik
  • Zotspot
    Hi Rounik, That would probably do the trick. Unfortunately, my DV camera has no provisions for connecting external audio. Zotspot
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Zotspot, what camera are you using and how are you attempting to connect an external audio source to your Mac? Cheers Rounik
  • Zotspot
    The DV camera is a Panasonic NV-GS80E. My external audio interface (F-Control Audio FCA202) has an auxiliary FireWire port. I run the camera's FireWire cable into this port, and then connect the interface's FireWire cable to my MacBook. All very straightforward. It just doesn't work. Suspecting problems using two FireWire units, I circumvented the audio interface and plugged the camera directly into my MacBook. Then, resetting the sound preferences, I connected the mixer directly to the computer's line input. This does not work, either. Zotspot (By the way, thanks for your continuing interest: this problem bugs me...)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Zotspot, hmmm... I've done a little bit of searching, but not success so far. It's a pity the camera doesn't have line-in... I suppose it may be a problem capturing video and audio from different sources through the same firewire port... However, there may be a workaround. Try downloading a demo of Audio Hijack Pro [url]http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/[/url] or Wiretap studio [url]http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/[/url] and see if you can record the audio from the external audio interface simultaneously. Let me know how you get on... Cheers Rounik
  • Zotspot
    Audio Hijack Pro enables me to record sound into a file of its own at the same time as I record video in iMovie. The sound from the camera's microphone is still in the film clip, so first I separate and delete it, then drag and drop the file from AHP to replace it. After synchronizing, I have a clip with excellent sound and no latency. Thanks very much for the advice; it solved the problem. Cheers, Zotspot
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Zotspot, Really glad to hear it works well for you :) Take care, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: