macProVideo.com
Forums
  • davidgion
    WHAT 'S GOING ON WITH I MOVIE 8?
    HI evereyone I'm new and do need support seems that as I'm dowloading the new tutorial for I movie 8 ,some people told that the old version is much better as far lots of things can you please bring some light into this...what you suggest I do is this true? Tahank you David MAcpro intel duo 2,2 leopard 10.5.2 4g
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: WHAT 'S GOING ON WITH I MOVIE 8?
    Hi David, iMovie 6 HD vs iMovie 8..... They are quite different. They work using a different metaphor. iMovie 08 is extremely quick for editing and adding transitions in real time. Very interesting route for Apple to go. iMovie 6 is more fully featured but not as quick to get things done. I still use iMovie 6 a lot - but am beginning to explore iMovie 08 more too. I believe Apple allow iLife 08 customers to be able to download the iMovie 6 HD version still? Hope that helps, Rounik
  • davidgion
    HI.Thank you very very much hope i'n not bothering you is true that M6 has more plugins to play around with and if so what about M8..are they going to do something about that deside that I'm sure it is a great software to wok with?......or should I go for & or even better final cut
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi David iMovie 6 has the ability to use the built-in effects and 3rd party effects for both audio and video. iMovie 08, currently, cannot do this, except for some basics, e.g. colour correction. Again, iMovie 08 is extremely quick as an editor and can allow you to skim through and add transitions in real-time. You can download iMovie 06 and use both versions on your system: [url]http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html[/url] Final Cut is a step up from iMovie HD 06. Your decision may depend on what you want to use imovie/Final Cut for? Cheers Rounik
  • davidgion
    thanks ROUNIK
    HI Rounik and thank you you've been very helpful,I'm getting into making videos for my music so what would you suggest,I guess I've already answer myself think that F.C. would be the way to go...let's see.....thanks again PS-do you think at this point I would still need to keep the I movie into the HD or could I try to make some room...cause it does get crowded very fast and to tell you the truth there are programs that I berly use such as Mainstage -photoshop-Aperture and garageband is there but I use LOgic-..anyway don't want to bother you ..you know wouldn't be a bad Idea to get a tutorial out in educating a clean and healthy way of how to use your MAC properly... DAVID
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: thanks ROUNIK
    yes, good idea for a tutorial: Maintaining your mac! For video, I'd suggest getting a firewire 7,200rpm external HD to put all your video and media on. That's a good suggestion for both Logic & FCP. Also, good practice is to use Leopard's Time Machine to back up your system. I still use a free app called Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my system. Then I feel happier about deleting app's from my HD. David, if you have any questions that we can help you with, do post them, it's no bother at all! Cheers Rounik
  • LizC
    Re: iMovie 6 vs iMovie 08
    May I add on another question to this compare & contrast ? I am a true beginner to video editing, but am interested to know: - have there been complaints with iMovie08 causing a poorer quality of image import from the camera (skipping, for example) when using a camera with DV tape ? my husband and I downloaded the same clip using both iM6 & iM08 and it was fine in iM6, but skipped several times using iM08, which, if it will be a regular problem, suggests to us that we should do our learning with iM6 instead ... ? thx.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Liz, Welcome to the forums! I've just read some complaints about iMovie08 and the import and skipping issue. Some people feel it might be connected to Leopard (OS 10.5) so a future update could fix this. Back to the question, In my opinion, iMovie 6 is not a step backward - but just a different way of editing video. If you find iMovie08 doesn't work for you right now then iMovie6 is a great and very powerful video editing package. I still teach others in iMovie6 as it's still very popular. Check out the tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/iMovie[/url] If you have any other questions let us know. Thanks Rounik
  • johnnyA
    I did okay with iMovie6, but when I bought a new laptop it came with IMovie 08 and I'm having no luck learning it. I bought a MacPro tutorial and the parts I need won't play. I paid for some Final Cut Pro lessons and found it way too complex to get the hang of. I think i have decent computer skills (and software learning - I'm pretty good with pro Tools, for ex.) but anything beyond iMovie6 is discouraging. And iMovie8 is being pushed on me because of the new laptop and even my Power Mac seems to want me to update to 08, which, again, is totally un-intuitive and doesn't allow you to apply any previous iMovie skills. I'm stuck...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi johnnyA, Welcome to the forums! There are some who prefer iMovie 6 HD to iMove 08, so Apple allows registered users of iMovie 08 to download iMovie 6. If you'd prefer to use iMovie 6 you can download it from here: [url]http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html[/url] Cheers Rounik p.s. what do you mean "I bought a MacPro tutorial and the parts I need won't play"??? Have you contacted support: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/support/[/url]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: