macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bornstein75
    Sony Mini DVD Handycam import quality in iMovie
    Hello, can somebody tell me if I import my footage into iMovie 08 from my Sony Mini DVD Handycam, does the quality of the original footage on the mini DVD deteriorate at all? If it does, is there a way I can import footage from the mini DVD into imovie, with no loss of quality? Also when I share my final movie in iMovie so I can use it in iDVD, I share it at the large setting of 720x540. Does this cause any loss of quality? If it does, is there a way not to lose ay quality before I burn it to a DVD? Any answers to my questions would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Sony Mini DVD Handycam import quality in iMovie
    Hi bornstein75 & welcome to the forums! When you select File > Import movie... what setting do you use to import the video files? I'm not 100% sure whether there will be quality loss in the conversion because, from my understanding, the nature of how a mini dvd camcorder works is that it records it directly to DVD format (which is essentially compressed?) iMovie then has to convert these file types during the import process. Until recently, mini DVD footage was not able to be edited easily (it wasn't initially designed for that purpose). However, for sharing your movie to get full quality out from iMovie select Share > Export using QuickTime... Here you can choose the size, quality etc after pressing the "Options" button. When you've found a suitable codec and size you can then drag the resulting movie file into iDVD. Remember that iDVD will essentially recompress the video for DVD when it burns to DVD. For more info on compression and the art of compressing digital video for different purposes check out: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/compressor3101[/url] Be aware that this video above deals with the application: Compressor, which you might not have. (It comes bundled with Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio). Thanks Rounik
  • bornstein75
    Hello Rounik thank you so much for replying to me and giving me the Quicktime tip. It's much appreciated. I only just found out that mini DVD handycams aren't the best for video editing as they do compress the footage taken onto a DVD. I'm a little upset about that as I bought the handycam about a year ago before I got into video editing. I'm annoyed now that I didn't research it better, because now I am stuck with the camera and it cost me alot of money. Oh well, I will have to make do with it for now. What video cameras are the best for video editing? Anyway, thanks once again. Brian
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Brian, I think a lot of people have found themselves in the same boat re: mini-DVD camcorders. But, it's great that iMovie 08 can import and edit the footage still! The best cameras for video editing in my opinion are the tape based DV or HDV cameras. I'd recommend a good HDV camera as you can shoot in High definition and standard definition (and High definition is impressive). The quality of the camera depends very much on the make and price! There are good non-tape (Hard disk) camcorders out there, but anything that compresses to mpeg-2 will not give the optimal quality I think. Check out this list of compatible cameras on the imovie page: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1014[/url] Let us know if you need any more help. Rounik
  • akp
    Re: Sony Mini DVD Handycam import ...
    Hello, How do you get import the videos from the mini DVD to your Mac in the first place? I have a MacBook Pro, but the Handycam I have only has an A/V port out of the camera. So, I borrowed a PC to copy the files from the mini-DVD to my external hard drive, but now am finding the files are .vob, .ifo, and .bup rather than something transferable. Thank you!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi akp, You may need to rip the DVD files (VOB, etc) into a non-compressed format that iMovie can read. An application like Streamclip should do the trick: [url]http://www.squared5.com/[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • akp
    Thank you! Will I lose quality?
  • Rounik Admin
    Streamclip is very very good. If you're footage is captured to mini DVD ( a compressed format) then you've already compromised slightly on quality. However, depending on the options you choose in Streamclip the quality should be aprox. the same if not the same. :) Rounik
  • akp
    Sounds great! But, I tried for hours last night - I Opened the files. The numbers indicated the file had been open, but no video was showing or would play. I tried all of the Conversion and Exporting options, but then either could not open the resulting files with any application (including Streamclip), or was told I needed to purchase "MPEG-2 Playback" from the Apple site!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi akp I'll need more info on how you opened the files..? In what app? what do you mean "The numbers indicated the file had been open"? Have you copied the VOB/mini DVD files from your camera to your Mac? Can you tell me the model of the Snny mini DVD camera? And I'm assuming the camera has USB port? Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: