macProVideo.com
Forums
  • wetstuff
    iM'08 ..exports lg. mov as m4v?
    A 2min+, HD movie comes out as 72meg ..but rather than a .mov or QT movie, it ends up something iTunes wants to open?! If I 'Save as QT' ..then I get a large, long conversion but the video is all pixelated. Any thoughts? Thanks. j i m wetstuff
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: iM'08 ..exports lg. mov as m4v?
    Hi wetstuff, Welcome to the forums. By the way an m4v file can be opened in Quicktime, it's defaulted to open in iTunes though. Control-click on the movie file and select Open with > Quicktime or drag it onto the Quicktime app in the dock. What options are you using in Export to Quick time? There are many options and codecs to choose from and this could explain why the video is pixelated. 2 minutes of HD video which is not very compressed can very well be large. This is not surprising. What is the final destination for your movie? Are you putting it on DVD, do you plan to stream it over the web... uTube etc? Cheers Rounik
  • wetstuff
    Rounik.....thanks for the contact. I do not use YouTube or .Mac ...just make the videos to hang off one of my sites to share with the locals. Vimeo does a pretty good job, but I am not out for public exposure. I was afraid of the .m4v files confusing the 85% of the folks not using Macs. Formating/Saving is a head-scratcher?! I had not thought to simply pull it over to QT (I have QT Pro..) I did get two copies hung on my wetstuff site, but I'll bet my host is pizz'd. The latest one was 607megs for about 2.5min! That is the .mov file. .....the damn .m4v file wants to dnld to because it thinks it is some music?! The smaller (ahem) one - the .m4V - was about 70megs. for the same thing. It is a local kitesurfer and my first use of this new little Canon cam. I have been shooting with great results - for kitesurfing that is - with a waterproof SD camera from Sanyo. It's a blast to take right out there with you. They are: [url]http://wetstuff.com/movie/scott.mov[/url] and [url]http://wetstuff.com/movie/Scott.m4v[/url] Thanks again, and for the public service. j i m
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey J i m, No problem! It's worth going into the compression settings and SIZE in the export to quicktime from imovie 08. I've tried viewing the .mov on your website and it's going to take me a long long time to download it to view it (and I've got a better than average connection). Just by reducing the size you will get a much smaller file size and adding some compression. Alternatively, if you're happy with the quality of the m4v file, open it in Quicktime pro and select save as... and change it to a .mov file, then upload that to your site. By the way, there might be a way to embed a vimeo video on your website. I haven't checked it out - but that might also be a good option. Let us know how you get on. Cheers Rounik
  • wetstuff
    ......Ya, loading the video is like being on hold at the Dept. of Energy. ..but once the sucker hits: Bang - The Big Picture! I also understand, it's like pictures of your kids; "You're the only one who [i]really[/i] cares." There's this other gizzmo: dvcCast that does variable compression and uploading that is quite interesting. I'd probably use it if I was doing things for the public to see. Thanks again for the tips. Cheers! jim
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem! If you need any other help about compression techniques or anything else let us know. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: