macProVideo.com
Forums
  • imovie
    audio pops and cracks
    Help! I am trying to make a simple movie with this program. All has been going well. I went on itunes to download some songs to insert in the movie. When I play it back in the project there are a lot of pops and cracks in the sound. Any ideas?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: audio pops and cracks
    Hi imovie, What kind of audio files are they? Can you tell us as much info about your system, OS version etc so we can help you better. Also, are you using an external audio interface? If so which one is it? You are using iMovie 08? Have you downloaded all the most recent updates for it? Cheers Rounik
  • imovie
    Thank you for getting back to me! I hope I don't frustrate you because I am not sure about a couple of items you ask about. I am not much of a computer whiz. Anyway, this is what I DO know: 1.) I am using Mac OS X, version 10.4.11 2.) I am using imovie 08. 3.) I don't know what the audio files are. The audio I have comes from the videos and I am also downloading music to insert from itunes. 4.) I don't know what an "external audio interface" is. 5.) I checked for updates on imovie and it looks like there are some I can install. I am worried about doing this since I have been working on this project for many hours. Is there any chance when I install updates that it could mess up the project I have going? Thanks for your time and help. I am sorry my knowledge is lacking!! Chris from Montana
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:69431]Thank you for getting back to me! I hope I don't frustrate you because I am not sure about a couple of items you ask about. I am not much of a computer whiz.[/quote] Hi Chris, Please don't apologize!! I'm more than happy to help you if I can ;-) Thanks for the info. It's really useful to know this. An audio interface is a "sound card" that some users wish to connect to their mac's for enhanced sound/more inputs and outputs...but don't worry about that. OK. Let's try a few things out and see if we can narrow down the problem... 1. How much available space do you have on your Mac's HD? (In the Finder double click on the Macintosh HD icon and it will show the number at the bottom of the window) 2. When you export a project does the audio still have clicks and pops in it? 3. Do you have any other applications open at the same time as iMovie 08? If so close them and see if it still happens. 4. Last one for now: Click on the Apple symbol (top left menu bar) and select "About this mac". What is the processor and Memory? Thanks Rounik
  • imovie
    Hey!Hey! When I put the imovie in iDVD the pops and cracks are gone when I preview it. Do you think that means the DVD, when I burn it, will be OK? That would be easy because I wouldn't have to worry about the pops and cracks in imovie. Right? Chris
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Chris, If it doesn't click and pop in iDVD then I'm pretty sure it shouldn't happen when you burn it. The best way to know is to burn it to DVD. I suspect the audio crackling in iMovie has something to do with there being too much strain being put on your cpu perhaps due to little HD space or any number of the questions in the previous post... iMovie 08 does an amazing job of allowing skimming of audio and video in realtime and processing video without rendering time. This is all very powerful stuff, so if you're lacking hd space or you have a small amount of memory and you're working on a big project then this might happen. Cheers Rounik
  • imovie
    Hello Rounik, Thanks for the info. At this point I think I will finish the movie (almost there) and then burn it. I will see then if the pops and cracks are still there on the DVD. Thanks for taking your time to explore my problem! I will get back to you if it continues! Have a great day! Chris
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Chris, Thanks. Hope it works out well. A few considerations for the future are how much available space you have on your Hard disk and ram. But hopefully it will be fine once you burn to disc or export the movie to a quicktime file. Either way let me know how it goes. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: