macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Sean
    Aspect ratio changes on import to i-Movie!
    When I import a Quicktime movie into i-Movie, the aspect ratio changes and my frame is narrower. I have chosen DV widescreen, but it still happens. My frame is 1x2. What is happening here? Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Aspect ratio changes on import to i-Movie!
    Hi Sean & welcome to the forums! We need a little more info about the video and your setup please: What mac, OS version and iMovie version are you running? What is the aspect ratio of the original quicktime movie? Is it widescreen 16:9? OK, now I think about it DV widescreen is only an option in iMovie 6 HD, so i presume you are using this version? Last question, in what way is your frame narrower? Is it cropped along the top and bottom (letterbox) or up left and right sides? If you import a movie file which is not 16:9 into a 16:9 project in iMovie HD it will crop it to fit the video size. Let us know. Cheers Rounik
  • Sean
    My Quicktime movie is being 'narrowed', not cropped, the image is the same, except it is squashed left and right....as if I grabbed the sides and pushed them together. I'm using i-Movie 6.0.2 When I import the movie into i-DVD, the quality is very bad, but the aspect ratio is fine. When I import the movie into i-Movie, the quality is fine, but the image is squashed left and right. Confused!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sean, It does sound odd... Please can you answer the questions in my previous post: 1. What version of OS X are you using? 2. What mac are you using? 3. What is the file type of the original file? 4. What is the aspect ratio of the quicktime movie before you bring it into iMovie? (To find the answer to 4. please select the movie file in the finder and choose File > Get Info) Cheers Rounik
  • Sean
    Hi Rounik, In answer to your questions: 1) Mac OS X 10.4.7 2) Mac Pro Desktop 3) Final Cut Pro 4) My images are 1x2, but I save them in Final Cut as a NTSC 720x486 16:9 file. It preserves my original 1x2 aspect ratio by letterboxing it. Therefore the outer frame is the above mentioned 720 x 486 16:9 framing, and my images are seen as 1x2 images surrounded by a black border, which is what I want, and what I get in my Quicktime movie. It ONLY changes when I import it into i-Movie. I review the Quicktime movie after it is saved to my desktop and it is fine, aspect ratio and all. But once imported into i-Movie it gets squashed left and right. I have my black border, but the image is squashed. Its like the old movies that were shot anamorphic and to be able to see the credits when you watched them on TV, they squashed the image left and right so it fit in the squarer TV format, and everything looked narrow and thin. Sean
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sean, Would you mind posting a small clip of the quicktime file and I will try replicating the process on my mac? You can private message me if you like using the "message" link below my post. Thanks Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sean, I tried the clip in Quicktime. It appears normal. In iMovie'08 is imports and is normal, however, in iMovie HD 6 it does indeed squash the video. I've tried numerous settings but have not been able to get iMovie 6 to import it properly. There are other users you have found that iMovie HD 6 does squash a 16:9 movie created in FCP. iMovie 6 works great importing DV files - so my next question is why are you taking an FCP project into iMovie 6? Could you do your editing in FCP instead? Also, could you use iMovie 08 to do what you want to do? By the way, the movie clip is lovely. Would be interested to know more about it. Cheers Rounik
  • Sean
    Hi Rounik, Well, the only reason I'm importing it into i-Movie is because I want to burn a DVD, it is already edited. It is a movie of my designs that I want to give in interviews. Right now I have only a Quicktime movie burned to a DVD and it can only be played on a computer. I'd like it to be played as a DVD, on a TV. The quality on i-movie upon import is fine. The quality on import in i-DVD is terrible, that is why I chose i-movie. I just want a DVD of my movie, and these are the only ways it seems I can get one.....or am I missing something. Thanks, Sean
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sean, OK. I've done a little digging and there are a few things to explore. First off, you can use DVD Studio Pro that comes with Final Cut Studio to create a DVD. You don't have to use iDVD or iMovie. (In fact, iMovie cannot create a DVD by itself, it will send the video to iDVD anyway). Looking at your movie properties, the original footage is from graphic files, right? In which case you need to be aware that the dimension of the graphics file need to be different to correspond to the pixel aspect ratio. Basically, you need to adjust when working with still images, for pixel aspect ratio differences between the computer, and TV. For NTSC 16:9 the dimensions should be 864x480, this is because the computer uses square pixels and video uses a different pixel system. The pixel aspect ratio will then become 720x480 which is 1.2. Your file is slightly off the above. In fact, bear in mind that often Quicktime won't display 16:9 correctly, so don't use it as your judge - the video will still be ok though. I'd also recommend that when you export your movie in Final Cut Pro you choose Export to Quick time and set the compression settings as Current settings. This is the highest quality for your movie. Let DVD Studio Pro deal with the compression later. OK, so now you have your movie file... Open DVD Studio Pro (in your Applications folder) and close any projects. Go to DVD Studio Pro > Preferences In the "Project" tab set the DVD to SD DVD and the Video standard as NTSC. In the "General" tab set the display mode for menus as 16:9 letterbox. In the "Encoding" tab make sure you're in Mpeg-2 SD mode and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 and the Mode as Two pass VBR Lastly, go to the "Simulator" tab and set it's resolution to SD and display mode to 16:9. That's it, open a new project and import your movie. You should be good to go now. Do let us know how you get on & of course if we can help you further. Cheers Rounik p.s. sorry for the length of this reply! :-)
  • Sean
    Wow Rounik, you've been more than helpful, I REALLY appreciate your time and patience with my problem. Thanks very much!!! Maybe I did'nt tell you (oops!), but I'm using Final Cut Express...... Does that mean I'm a little stuck? Sean
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: