macProVideo.com
Forums
  • rickwells
    import from mini dvd
    Hi. I want to upgrade from a cheap camcorder that my wife bought. Sony 800X. I will do my homework before buying a new camera but in the meantime how can I import the material from the existing mini DVDs into imovie. There doesn't appear to be any camera connections to allow this. Is it possible just to read the disc when inserted into my mac? I haven't used imovie before. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: import from mini dvd
    Hi rickwells, Welcome to the MacProvideo forums! I don't know the Sony 800x and can't find info about it. Can you find the actual model number? Is it one of the cameras in this list: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1014#2[/url] Let me know and I'll do my best to help you get started. Also, perhaps this thread from earlier this year may help too: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/video/imovie-idvd&id=10123[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Also, What Mac are you using, and what versions of OS X and iMovie? You camera should have a USB connection... which can be used to connect to your Mac. Thanks Rounik
  • rickwells
    Rounik Thanks for your response - I've just picked up your message having been away for a couple of days. Can't give you more details right now re the camera model number. Will do it tonight. I will be editing on a new imac, 1gig, OS 10.5, which I think has imovie8? Thanks again
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rick, No problem! Every new Mac comes bundled with iLife 08 which includes iMovie '08. This is a great place to start editing your video footage :-) Rounik
  • rickwells
    Rounik The Sony camcorder is a DCR-DVD105. It has only an av output socket ( cable supplied ) with red, yellow and white phonos to link to other av equipment. Is it possible to use an interface to link up to the imac? Cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rick, You're right there is no USB connection from that camera!! Do not put the mini DVD in your Mac's optical slot loading drive... It is not designed to work with it. iMovie does not officially support the camera as it lacks USB or firewire connections. I've found the following which may help... [url]http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/678476[/url] Let me know if this helps you. Cheers Rounik
  • rickwells
    Thanks Rounik Yes that link was a help - it confirmed what I had feared. However, I could copy the mini dvd onto a standard size DVD using my G5 powermac. Is it then possible to import the data from the disc into imovie? I would use my G5 for most things but I just thought that the latest imovie ( on the imac ) would be better. I read that a lot of people still use the previous version of imovie and many prefer it. I could, of course, try it myself. Alternatively a friend of mine, who does video editing professionally ( FCP ) could convert the mini DVDs into readable data for imovie. Cheers Rick
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rick, Good idea... You could burn the mini DVD to normal DVD on your G5 powermac and then take that disc to your new mac... I have no experience of importing DVD into iMovie. I use tape based cameras.... I'm not sure if iMovie 06 can import from mini DVD - I suspect not. You could alternatively copy iMovie 08 on to your G5 and see if it works and buy iLife 08 and install it on your G5... Let me know how you get on... By the way, if you're considering another camera for the future, depending on your needs, I'd go for something tape or flash card based rather than DVD, as the footage can be edited more easily in my opinion. Cheers Rounik
  • rickwells
    Thanks Rounik. Yes I fully intend to purchase a camera which is NOT DVD! It will depend upon what is out there in latest technology when I come to buy. In the meantime I need to make some time to get the mini DVDs transfered to an editable format. I'll let you know the results but it may be a while before I can do it. Again, many thanks for your input. Oh, I've just been informed of a piece of mac software called Handrake. Apparently this does a conversion from DVD to a format for editing. Have you heard of it? Rick
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: