macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Matt Cartwright
    Rough motion when exporting to quicktime
    Hey all, I've been having trouble with rough and staggered motion after exporting from iMovie to quicktime and was hoping someone could help. I'm using 1080i HD footage... When editing in iMovie, the quality is great, even when there's camera panning and slow motion etc. But when i export the file to burn a ".mov" or ".dv" video, the clips that contain motion become staggered and blurred as if it it was skipping or missing frames. This is really ruining the quality and continuity of the movies and was hoping someone had the answer. Thanks heaps, Matt
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Rough motion when exporting to quicktime
    Hi Matt, Welcome to the forums. What settings are you using for the export from iMovie? When you select Share > Export using Quicktime... What compression settings and quality etc are you using? What is the end destination of your movie? DVD? YouTube? etc... Cheers Rounik
  • Matt Cartwright
    Rounik, Thanks for the reply. Ok... So the movie file is ready to be exported... I export to quicktime I go into expert settings and choose the highest quality In the end, the video or music video is to be dvd So, as i mentioned, the quality of the video is always amazing in iMovie, there just seems to be a problem in the stages of exporting or sharing the file out of iMovie. I just dont know if i'm over looking a setting that has to do with "best motion" or "smoothest motion", quite frustrating. Cheers mate, Matt
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Matt, What codec are you using? Under settings... choose Compression type. What do you have selected? What about the frame rate settings? Also, under Size... choose "deinterlace source video". That can help get rid of certain fuzzy (interlaced) bands during movement. Compressing videos for DVD (or any purpose) is quite an art and science! Cheers Rounik
  • Matt Cartwright
    Hey, You'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge here... What do you suggest is the best compression type. In my last settings, i had it on "DV-PAL" but i just noticed "DVC PRO HD 1080i60", is that the one i should use when working with HD footage? Sorry, i haven't got my head around the whole tech business, and unfortunately this motion issue is a problem i've always struggled with. Framerate is set on 60 with "all frames" selected. Thanks heaps for your help, Matt
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Matt, I normally use Compressor (which comes with Logic studio and Final Cut Studio) to help me produce content for DVD Studio Pro.... Did you click on "deinterlace video source" before exporting??? Are you based in America or Europe? I ask because that will change the setting you choose: NTSC is for America and Japan... PAL is Europe. OK. So, you've noticed there are a lot of different compression types ;-). Don't choose DVpal. That will output Standard Definition (SD). As for size, if the video is definitely for DVD only then adjust it to fit to the DVD spec: DVD's playback lower quality video - i.e. the size is 720x576 (PAL) and 720 x 480 (NTSC). DVD's also only playback mpeg-2 format. Probably best to export without compression (None) - this will take up a lot of space!! For example, 1 hour HD footage can be as much as 350GB. If I wasn't exporting for DVD I'd probably export to H.264. You can try this also, I forget it iDVD can import H.264 or not. I suspect it can... you can drop your video file into iDVD which will then add it's own compression (mpeg2). As for frame rates... I think 60 frames is unrealistic... did you shoot at 60frames? Again, in Europe we use 25 fps (PAL) and in North America 29.97 fps (NTSC). Sorry for this long post, but another question: Did you shoot in widescreen (16:9) or standard (4:3)? I appreciate you may want to just choose the best compression and leave it to compress. But the above questions are very important and can help to find the best method for exporting your videos. I'd also recommend checking out Compressor if you have it. Much easier IMHO... although it interfaces directly with Final Cut and not iMovie, it would still be very useful! Cheers Rounik
  • Matt Cartwright
    Hey, Dont be silly, i really appreciate the detailed reply... I'm based in Australia and use PAL. The video was shot in WS 16:9. As it's a 23 minute audio-visual work, the final size is of course an issue as i need it to fit onto a DVD. But as always, having the maximum quality while being small enough to fit on DVD is a tricky task. I'd be happy sacrificing a little quality if it meant that the motion was smooth, it's subtle but nonetheless distracting. One more Q, what does "deinterlace video source" do. Once again, thankyou so much for all your help.. Matt
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Matt, Here's a link to wikipedia about deinterlacing: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing[/url] I've found deinterlacing has helped banded or jagedy edgeds on areas of motion within my videos look smoother. ok. So, DVD needs the mpeg2 format. iDVD will convert any video you bring in to it into mpeg2 i believe. But won't accept mpeg2 but will accept mpeg-2 SD files! Out of interest, do you have Compressor or DVD Studio Pro? As I mentioned before, I use compressor, which ouputs to mpeg2 for DVD to preserve good quality. It's worked very well for a DVD project I've been working on for a client. I'd try it out in H.264 with deinterlacing. These are some pics of what I'd try from iMovie export: [img]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4066/picture2rq1.png[/img] Here's the export size settings: [img]http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/2333/picture5gb1.png[/img] And the overall settings: [img]http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/2066/picture6vj5.png[/img] Let me know if this helps at all :-) Cheers Rounik
  • Matt Cartwright
    Rounik, Hey mate... The screenshots are a great help, i'm almost finished editing my honours piece for uni (I'm a music student, hence the lack of knowledge of video) and tonight i'll try all those settings. Unfortunately i dont have either of those compressors. Well, back to the editing, and thanks for all your replies. Matt
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:79835]i'm almost finished editing my honours piece for uni [/quote] Good Luck :-) Let me know if the settings work for you. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: