macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Brian_the_Dog
    OS X Mac Pro iMovie maxmize performance speed
    I'm getting a new Mac Pro 8 core. Dual Hard drives Will hold up to 32GB ram. I need to choose a new camcorder. My experience was like 7 years ago with iMovie and a $1500 JVC digital mini-dv cassette type. The big problem was having to play back in real time just to "import" the movie to iMovie - WHAT A WASTE OF TIME !!! [b]That is the first thing I want solved.[/b] I would hope with hard drive, DVD, or flash memory based cams I could just hook it up and drag and drop the raw file(s) to a folder in seconds. Later open up iMovie to work on it. The next thing is add effects and then exporting to Quicktime or whatever to publish on web or DVD. [b]in the past that those processes brought the computer to it's knees[/b] like a T1000 Terminator applying a metacarpal takedown on you... (sorry geek + martial arts) With that in mind; what else can I do besides getting that MacPro and filling it with ram ? Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: OS X Mac Pro iMovie maxmize performance speed
    Hi Brian, Welcome to the forums :) What Mac did you have before that exporting video brought it to it's knees? I think a new MacPro with 4-8GB of RAM should be more than sufficient! If not you can always upgrade the ram. It depends on what you are planning to do (a 2 hour feature length movie.... etc?) As for a camcorder. Do you want to take HD footage? What is your budget? I personally like the tape based varieties on the market... but I understand that using a flash memory based camcorder has it's incentives. I'd recommend against using a DVD based camcorder due to their compression quality issues - just what I heard a year ago. Perhaps the quality has changed since then? Here's a list of camcorders compatible with the new iMovie '09: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290[/url] Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • Brian_the_Dog
    Back then I had an 867 G4 with whatever ram it would hold I think. Exporting to Quicktime was the worst. Don't even know the pro's cons of HD so probably don't care unless briefed otherwise. I want to keep the camera under the $1,000 zone. If I know it will significantly help, and a solid tipping point for what scenarios it will help, I have no problem maxing the ram out to 32Gb. As I said before main thing I want first is speed of getting the footage out of camcorder to the Mac Hard drive - in seconds or just a couple minutes like you would a compact flash from a camera. How close are we to that ? I've been vaguely briefed that iMovie has to "convert" on import so that is why it may be slow. How slow is slow ??? Anything must be better than 1 to 1. Thanks, Brian the Dog.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Brian, Here's a link about HD: [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video[/url] Basically it's higher resolution than SD. If you have a choice go with HD, unless you are producing video soley for standard DVD video... The Mac Pro you are describing will absolutely toast the G4 867. I wouldn't recommend maxing out the ram to 32GB unless you really really need to! But honestly, I'd go for 8GB or 12GB and then spend the difference on the best graphics card option, an external hard drive and of course a really good camcorder. I don't have much experience with exporting form a flash based cam to iMovie. But, it depends on the length of video, speed of the connection (firewire is faster than USB in general), etc. I'm sure it will be a lot faster than 1 to 1! Essentially, the process involves copying the file from the cmaera to the mac and then converting it so that iMovie can perform all sorts of editing options in realtime (No need to render the video in iMovie 08/09!!!). All in all, it will be a much faster process (from importing, applying effects, editing and exporting) than on your G4. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: