macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Chadmouth
    .MOV 16:9 files won't import correctly into 6.0.4
    I am new here, and have looked around for an answer to this and didn't find anything. I apologize if I am posting a stupid question, but I need help. Bad. I am importing .mov files into iMovie HD 6.0.4 and it keeps changing the aspect ratio to 4:3 with the bars down each side. Here is some info on what I'm using. MacBookPro running OS X 10.4.11 iMovie HD 6.0.4 My files are .mov and were created in Final Cut Pro. They are 720p HD. When I watch them in Quicktime Player, they are great, but when I import that clip to iMovie, it puts bars on each side of the image and makes it 4:3. I need a solution. Thank you for helping. Chad
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: .MOV 16:9 files won't import correctly into 6.0.4
    Hi Chad, Welcome to the forums :) Have you set your Project properties appropriately? File > project Properties... Cheers Rounik
  • Chadmouth
    I don't have a project properties tab
  • Chadmouth
    It does this whether I use DV Widescreen or HDV 720 as my video format when I start the project.
  • Chadmouth
    Well, I called Apple, and they told me I had to use StreamClip. I just tried it for one clip, and it seems to work. I hate having to do everything twice, so if someone has a suggestion i would love to hear it, but in the meantime I'm going to use Streamclip. Thanks for helping, I appreciate it. Chad
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Chad, Sorry, I somehow missed the fact you are using iMovie HD 6 (even though you mentioned it in your original post!) This is odd. So no matter what project type you select you always have pillars on the left and right sides of the video... These 16:9 Mov files... what were the export settings from Final Cut Pro? In the finder, select a file and open it in Quicktime. Hold down Command (Apple) and press 'I' to get the info for the movie file. What is the size, format, etc of the video file? Cheers Rounik
  • Hope Stronger
    Re: .MOV 16:9 files won't import correctly into 6...
    According to Apple support website, iMovie does support importing and editing MOV movie files. But it only supports some .mov file which is encoded with DV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, or AIC. However, MOV is a container, not a codec. It can contain any of the above codecs, but it may also contain other codecs that are not editable in iMovie, such as MPEG 1. If the MOV video is encoded with iMovie unsupported codec, we will fail to import this kind of MOV into iMovie for editing. In order to solve "iMovie can't import MOV" issue and to successfully import various MOV files to iMovie, we had better convert MOV to iMovie more compatible video format like MPEG-4. Just google search [B]Step by Step Guide on How to Convert MOV to iMovie with iDealshare VideoGo[/B], you will find a detailed tutorial
  • hoozzidge
    Re: .MOV 16:9 files won't import correctly into 6...
    Why we can't import MOV files to iMovie sometimes? iMovie only supports the MOV movie file whose video codec is DV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, or AIC. If a .mov video contains an incompatible video codec, the file will either not import into iMovie or will exhibit playback issues after import. In this case, you may need to convert the video file to iMovie compatible video format. To successfully import MOV and other video files like AVCHD, AVI, WMV, MKV,etc to iMovie, a widely recommended solution is to convert them to iMovie supported formats at: http://www.faasoft.com/articles/import-avi-mov-avchd-flv-wmv-mkv-etc-to-imovie.html
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: