macProVideo.com
Forums
  • zebulon
    imovie newbie stumped - unimportable video
    Im on a MacG5 1.25G running OSX10.4.11 using iMovie 2.1.2. I have a digital camera that shoots video in .avi format. I understand iMovie needs the video clips to be in DV or Mpeg-4 format. I've tried three different commercial converter programs which have the ability to convert the .avi files, but iMovie refuses to recognize the video files, they remain greyed out when I go to Import File. I even tried converting files to .mov and .vod and Mpeg-2. Still, no go. I cannot use Quicktime Pro to do the conversions as I need to run Classic 9 on my Mac for work, and that limits me to Quicktime 7.0, beyond that there are bad conflicts. But surely a third party conversion utility should work? Where am I going wrong? I just want to do basic video editing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: imovie newbie stumped - unimpo...
    Hi Zebulon, Welcome to the forums :) I don't run or have access to iMovie 2.1.2 so cannot try this out... Which video converters have you tried using? Have you though about getting a copy of iMovie HD 6. I believe this version will work with OS10.4.11, not sure if the more recent versions will work in Tiger or not. Best Rounik
  • zebulon
    Hey Rounik The converters I've tried are '4Media Video Converter Plantinum,' 'Aimersoft Total Media Converter' and 'Video Converter For Mac.' All three offer conversion capabilities to a ton of formats, among them mpeg-4 and Aimersoft sports a "DV" format, which is why I got it, thinking I needed it. No, I have not tried any other version of iMovie, I've found it hard to locate info on system requirements for other versions -- especially regarding Quicktime, since I'm stuck with 7.0. One person told me she was using iPhoto to "upload" avi movie files to her iMovie, but my iPhoto is absolutely blind to movie files of any sort, so I haven't a clue how she's doing that and she's not technical enough to explain it. Ulgh! :) I will look for iMovie 6 -- thanks for the suggestion!
  • zebulon
    I found a url for downloading iMovie 6HD but when I tried to install it, a window popped up that said this program cannot be installed on this machine without iLife08 ?!? Ulgh! I downloaded an .flv converter last night (PavTube FLV) since it specifically said it converted .flv flash/youtube video files to the mpeg-4 format for iMovie, just to see what would happen... the resulting file from one of many youtube .flv's I have was greyed out in iMovie as unrecognized, unimportable just like other videos with the other converters. This is verrrry strange and frustrating. iMovie should not be THIS difficult to work with.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi, I'm afraid that iMovie 2 is very old now (released July 2000) and I don't even know if it is fully compatible with 10.4.11 and Quicktime 7. I don't know where you tried to download iMovie 6 HD from. I was suggesting you look for a copy in eBay or the like... not a torrent ;-) iMovie 6 has been discontinued since iMovie 09 was released (Jan 2009). Before then it was available as a free download to owners of iLife '08. The problem with video is there are many containers (.mov / Flash / etc) which can contain a multitude of codecs. I don't know exactly which codecs iMovie 2 can support so couldn't advise, but I would expect the DV should be possible. With the video files, What exact settings are you converting from and to? Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    According to this Wikipedia page, iMovie 08 seems to be compatible with OSX 10.4.x [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMovie[/url] There is one freeware video editing app I know of called HyperEngine AV. [url]http://www.free-video-editing.com/HyperengineAv.html[/url] It's not as easy as iMovie IMHO. Hope that helps Rounik
  • zebulon
    Thanks! HyperEngine AV is amazing! I was up all night playing with it... it's entirely intuitive and has loads of effects. In addition to being free. It worked like a charm. Now I just have to figure out how to properly export the movies I make to where I can burn them to DVD with iDVD and not come out with big, ugly, chunky images... I made a test file and exported it from Hyper in what I thought would be the right settings (NTSC, interlaced, 44hz) and then dropped it in iDVD for the burn, but the resulting file when played on TV from my DVD player was hideously chunky (I assume compressed?). Which is odd, since the same exported file plays BEAUTIFULLY in Quicktime player at full screen on a 20" widescreen monitor. Thanks so much for your help! I've now got half the battle won.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Zebulon, Glad you're enjoying HyperEngine AV. What codec and settings are you exporting the video from HyperEngine? DVD format is SD not HD... and compressing video for optimal DVD playback does require a little knowledge of compression. DVD format for NTSC: size: 720x480 Frame rate: 29.97 or 30 Encoded video: MPEG2 In fact this is one reason why iMovie and iDVD are so great. Especially the later versions. They do most of the technical stuff in the background. Cheers Rounik
  • nichhit25
    Hi,there. I have been in use of Pavtube HD video converter for Mac to transcode my camcorder files, unlike yours, my camcorder shot footages in the format of MTS, but the converted files can be directly recognize by my iMovie. ( I often convert these MTS files into MP4 or MOV). I'm not quite sure if it can solve your problem, but sugguest you have a try about its trial version, in that case you can see wether it can solve your problem or not. Good luck!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: