macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Karsten
    Merging events in iMovie
    Via iTubeGrabber I got 5 music videos out of YouTube. In iMovie I tried to merge* these events into one event with the aim to make a project ready for burning with iDVD. However it appears the 5 events remain separate in the DVD menu. * following the iMovie tutorial "merging events". How can I a make continoues video out of 5 such events ?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Merging events in iMovie
    Hi Karsten, Welcome to the forums. I'd recommend creating a new project in iMovie. Add the events to the project. Choose Share > Export to Quicktime... When the movie is exported as desired, reimport it into iMovie. Or, if you have Quicktime Pro you can copy and paste the 5 movies into one file and save it to a new movie file. Cheers Rounik
  • Karsten
    Hi Rounik, Do I understand "merging events" in iMovie does not work ? This would be confirmed by the fact the events have not merged in the event-working area ! After dragging the events to the project-working area they remain separate in the project. Your suggestion cannot I import directly into iDVD ? Your route takes a lot of time (I have not yet tried copying to Qt-pro). Max
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Max, I didn't mention iDVD? I was suggesting a way to combine clips so they would appear in the same event as a work around solution. But after re-reading your question and checking in iMovie 09 Merging Events works fine here - using both the methods described in video 18 in the iMovie 09 101 tutorial. Please can you explain step-by-step your process of trying to merge events and exactly what happens... or does not happen. Thanks Rounik by the way: Merging Events enables you to group clips together in a virtual folder - for easy organisation. You can create a project in iMovie and drag in clips from more than one event. From your first post, this seemed to be a concern for you. Excuse me if I misunderstood. Thanks
  • Karsten
    Hello Rounik, When importing video into iMovie you add the import to an existing event or make a new event.Till now I took the latter. Merging events in the event library failed as described. However when adding the event to an existing event (which you have made) the remaining events are effectively merged. After dragging these events 1 by 1 into the dropping areas of the new project one gets via iDVD ultimately a non-stop DVD playing of all imported events. I would prefer however the option to merge events in the event library area. I keep trying !
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Max What version of iMovie and iDVD are you running? Also what version of OSX are you using? I'm not sure I understand what it is you are trying to achieve as your end result. Maybe if I know how you wish your video to appear on the DVD I may be able to give some tips... Personally, I never drag an event direct to iDVD... I prefer to create projects from my Events and then export the projects to the iLife Media Browser and then drag those into iDVD. I find this method allows me to edit the footage exactly as I wish it to appear on the DVD. Thanks Rounik
  • Karsten
    Hello Rounik, iMovie: 7.1.4; iDVD: 7.0.4; OSX: 10.5.8 I follow the same procedure. As described earlier there seem to be two ways for merging events. Either just before import into iMovie or after all events have been imported into iMovie. in my case the 2nd did not work. What I want to achieve with e.g. two concerts each consisting of several parts (events) (some having a few movements, also events) all on one DVD. The DVD menu should enable me to select : * Play both concerts non-stop * Play each concert non-stop * Select each part * Select each movement * The option in iMovie to insert a thumbnail with title for each part and movement. These wishes may not be achievable but the possibility to merge events in the event-library area will make life easier. Thank you Max
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Max I'm using a newer version of iLife (09), so this may be why I can't replicate your issue. But as I mentioned before, I'd suggest importing the events and adding the clips from the events into a new project - one for each concert. Then with the project selected choose Share > iDVD in your version of iMovie can you add chapter markers to a project? You can in iMovie 09. This makes it easy for iDVD to figure out where chapters start and end. Hope some of this helps, Rounik
  • DBurkhart
    Multiple select the events in the left sidebar Right Click Select Merge Events Indicate what you want the new merged events to be called Another side note, couldn't figure out how to change the name of an event either, double click the event.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: