macProVideo.com
Forums
  • matt21
    iMovie09 import aspect problems
    I work in a school on the technical side and one of my jobs involves video editing on Mac. I didn't come from a Mac background and at first there were many frustrations. Gradually both my skills and the software on the Mac improved, eliminating most of my concerns. But there's one issue that will not go away, and every so often it rears its ugly head - like now. Aspect ratios. I've just created a perfectly good DV file based on an MPEGStreamclip export of a clip from a DVD to DV format output. The original was 16:9 and 16:9 was selected for the export. Quicktime opens the DV output file as 16:9. BUT, go to iMovie09 and select File>Import>Movies and choose the 16:9 DV file, and it will always bring it in as 4:3. There's no letterboxing, instead it just squashes the movie to 4:3. The 16:9 movie is anamorphic and I think this may be the problem. I've worked with iMovieHD, iMovie08 and iMovie 09 over two years and I'm very unimpressed that they STILL don't seem to have fixed this problem or even care. I've always found aspect ratio manipulation the most challenging aspect of working with video on the Mac, and still can't claim to have mastered it. If someone could help me do so, that would be really great. Just to let you know, I prefer my workflow to include as few programs as possible for efficiency reasons. Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: iMovie09 import aspect problem...
    Hi Matt, Could you take some screenshots of the movie file before import (in Quicktime) and after import into iMovie 09? Would be interested to see these. I haven't had any particular problems with iMovie changing the aspect ratio of imported files... Have you tried using the crop tool for the imported clips to see if perhaps you can readjust the clips aspect ratio this way. Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: iMovie09 import aspect problem...
    Well, I've just had exactly the same experience over the weekend! Can you open up the video file in Quicktime and press Command-I and post the info on your video file here? I tried this with DV files and H.264: H.264, 720 x 576, Millions Linear PCM, 16 bit little-endian signed integer, 2 channels, 48000 Hz When imported into iMovie's Event Area they appear squashed. However, when adding them to a 16:9 Project their aspect ratio returns to the way it should. I found one workaround. When importing choose to import 'Large' and not 'Full Quality'. The difference is minimal and if you're final output will be DVD or YouTube then the smaller size will not make a difference. Hope that helps, Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: