macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vermeille
    Re: Editing from Canon HV 20 to Ma...
    Rounik, I imported the raw material at full 1080i from my Canon HV20. From there I made one Project at "Full" - where the problem arose. Using the original raw material, I made another Project at "Large". It made no difference. The problem was the same in all respects. Can I ask you about "Final Cut", please? Are the differences between "Express" and "Pro" really only such as would be noticeable by a Professional Editor( such as my grandson, who uses "Pro" to edit TV programmes professionally?) Would I, as an amateur, be satisfied with "Express"? I have watched Tutorials on FCPro and it really does have much better editing procedures than i-Movie 9 - ought to considering the cost!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Vermeille Final Cut Express is very good for the price! You'll notice there are some different ways to approach editing to iMovie 09. The quality from Express and Pro will be essentially the same for your needs... editing wise you should be fine with Express! :) R
  • Vermeille
    Hullo again, Rounik. Thought I'd bring you up to date. I now shoot with a Panasonic HDC-SD700 and the video is marvellous (better, I think, than the Canon HV20); I have an i-Mac 27" I am still on i-Movie 09, but I'm reading avidly about i-Movie 11 AND FC Express. Anyway, up to now I have only been able to shoot in 1080i - because that is AVCHD which i-Movie 09 can handle. However, I've always wanted to use 1080p (which the Pan can do at 28mbs)as this is the better quality-for which I'm always searching! As you probably know, there has been considerable discussion on how to get 1080p into Mac editing programs. I have now been successful by using "Voltaic"to convert the 1080p to Apple I Codec and thence to i-Movie 09 for editing. The results are amazing.The resulting files are enormous, of course, but that is no problem. Your help and advice was always an inspiration to me.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Vermeille, This is great news. Thanks so much for posting back with this info! Well, I am jealous now of your Pan HDC-SD7000 - but really I'm still happy with my HV20 ... although it is gathering dust because most of my snippets of HD video these days are being captured on my iPhone 4 (!).... just because it's always with me :) It's useful to know about Voltaic. Thanks for the recommendation there too. I guess if file size is not an issue then your workflow sounds great! I haven't got my hands on iLife '11 yet but am keen to try out the new audio editing features in iMovie '11... doesn't it look great! Would love to hear more of your experiences too! Best Rounik
  • Vermeille
    Hullo Rounik, It's me again, with another problem! I am trying out Final Cut Express but I'm so frustrated I don't know whether I'll stay with it. It's a steep learning curve and I've got so far, but I'm stuck on Inserting Transitions. It should be simple, according to the Manual and the tutorial, but it isn't! First, if I go to the Effects Menu, they are listed in black, but when I choose, say "Dissolve" the list becomes greyed-out and I can't choose anything. If I go to the Effects tab, I can choose "Cross Dissolve" (which says it is 1 second in length) When I drag it between two clips (of 25 and 35 secs) it becomes 03 frames! If I go to Modify and try to change the duration to 2 secs, it has no effect at all. Obviously, if I can't do Transitions simply (like the tutorial says) then FCE 4.0.1 is useless to me. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp ! Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Vermeille, I've not had these problems with Final Cut. It just works as it should... Dragging a transition like cross dissolve between two adjoining clips can shorten the actual length of the transition because cross dissolve requires some frames from both clips to overlap each other. It does this automatically though... Make sure you have both clips selected... or just one clip and then choose the effect from the Effect menu... Try creating a new Sequence and using the effects in that sequence. It should all work exactly as the Manual and our tutorials describe. Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: