macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cavahia
    Archiving in iMovie
    I have recently bought a Sony DSC-H55 camera that shoots HD movie. Everything is working well when linking the camera to iMovie but for some reason I am unable to use the Archive feature after importing the shots. The Archive button is always greyed out. Can anyone suggest what I may be missing? Thanks for you trouble. Macscoop
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Archiving in iMovie
    Hi macscoop, What did you want the 'Archive' button to do? My understanding is that it's used when Archive is used to transfer files from a camera or memory stick which iMovie does not "see". It sounds like you can import footage directly from your camera into iMovie? If so then you don't require the archive feature... so Archive is particularly useful for importing AVCHD footage. Is that what you're trying to import? Just to check what version of iMovie and OSX are you running? Thanks Rounik
  • Cavahia
    Many thanks for your prompt reply - excellent service. May I refer you to the iMovie Tutorial under the heading "Creating a Camera Archive" which says I can save my clips to a hard drive after importing and then clear the camera for further filming. The tutorial shows imported clips with the option of using the Archive button to be able to save the files to another disk. I hope that explains the issue further. I am using IMovie 09 version 8.0.6 and Mac OS 10.6.4 Regards, Macscoop
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi macscoop, No probs! Yes, you're right, I see what you mean... I think I've only seen that feature in use for importing AVCHD files into iMovie... You should be able to use the archive feature to copy the raw movie files from your camcorder direct to your HD... Are you able to import the video files from your camera normally through the import window? Have you tried quitting iMovie and disconnecting and then re-connecting the camera? Also try restarting your Mac. How have you connected the Sony to your Mac? Thanks Rounik
  • Cavahia
    Hi Rounik, Yes, as an old (more years than I care to mention) Mac hand I have tried all the tricks you have mentioned. My camera connects directly to my Mac through USB and authomatically opens iPhoto. I close iPhoto and launch iMovie and import directly into the programme without difficulty. When the clips are imported the Archive button should be available but it is not. I am now wondering if the glitch has something to do with the Sony camera not supporting this facility. I would still be interested in any further thoughts you may have. Indeed, if you could lay your hands on a Sony digital camera have a go and let know if your are successful. Of course, I can copy my files as an archive using a long way round but it would be nice to have the archiving facility as a valuable shortcut. Regards again, Macscoop
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi macscoop, Out of interest is the 'Archive' button available before you import clips into iMovie? Unfortunately, I'm not able to get my hands on a Sony camera to try this out... if the opportunity arises I'll be sure to check this out. Cheers Rounik
  • Cavahia
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for your continued interest. No, the Archive option has not been available at any time. I went so far as to reinstall iMovie but no luck. If I manage to crack it I will let you know. Wishing you well. Macscoop
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Macscoop, Thanks. Could you try this out on another Mac...or take your camera to a local Apple Store and asking them if you can try this out there on their machines? Also are there any drivers for the sony camera for Mac? Thanks Rounik
  • Cavahia
    Hi Rounik, I have been scouting about and discovered a piece of Sony camera software which allows for downloading and archiving which is within the camera itself. I can only think that this is overiding the iMovie archiving facility. However, I will take my camera into our local Apple Centre in Glasgow as you suggest and I will report back to you. I hope I am not boring the pants off you!! Best wishes, Macscoop
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Macscoop, Hmmm... it shouldn't be able to disable iMovie's archive feature... is the Sony app running in the background? Do let me know how you get on at the Glasgow Apple store... and no, most definitely NOT boring the pants off me ;-) Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: