macProVideo.com
Forums
  • iMovie
    iMovie not recognizing Canon HF S20 or AVCHD files
    I'm using the iLife '11 version of iMovie on my MacBook Pro and MacPro desktop and neither is recognizing my Canon Vixia HF S20 camcorder when I connect it via the USB cable. The strange thing is the Canon icon and SD card icon both show up on my desktop but iMovie isn't recognizing the camcorder as connected and therefore won't import the files. When I try to manually import the files from the SD card, iMovie says there are no recognizable files, although the AVCHD files are definitely there (this is consistent with all my recordings and not just on one SD card). I wrote Canon and they have no idea why this occurring, claiming it's an Apple issue. Any idea what's going on and how I can solve it?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: iMovie not recognizing Canon H...
    Hi iMovie, AVCHD files can be a hassle to import into iMovie. Have you seen this: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3466[/url] This also might be of help: [url]http://appletoolbox.com/2010/10/imovie-11-still-does-not-support-many-avchd-mts-files-workaround/[/url] :) Rounik
  • iMovie
    Thanks for the links, Rounik. Not sure how to check if I'm recording in "multi-format" since all my files are ".mts"
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi If all your files are in .mts then you're recording AVCHD. Then you'll need to convert them once you've transferred them from your camera to your Mac before importing them into iMovie. Hope that helps R
  • iMovie
    That does help, Rounik. Thanks. But here's what confuses me: Why doesn't iMovie recognize these files automatically, since they are the standard for AVCHD? And, what do you recommend I convert them to, in order for iMovie to recognize and import them? All this converting seems very un-Mac-like.
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, it's a shame it doesn't work out of the box... but I think the problem is more down to the AVCHD format - which is not optimised for editing in most cases. This in fact might be a Quicktime thing. Even Final Cut only recently was able to recognize AVCHD and then it has to convert them to a format it's able to edit in. Bring back tape!! Convert to... that all depends on what your final output destination is going to be... e.g. a tiny video on YouTube... then H.264 would be ok. Otherwise you might want to consider HDV formats. Hope that helps Rounik
  • BenB
    Re: iMovie not recognizing Canon HF S20 or AVCHD files
    Actually, AIC does not lose quality. FCP X can edit AVCHD natively. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/pdzk-lt2 If you have a more current Mac, playback shouldn't be an issue. If you have an older, smaller Mac, and playback is choppy, convert to ProRes LT.
  • Jorgen Bornes
    iDealshare VideoGo is just the ideal AVCHD to iMovie Converter. It supports converting various AVCHD movies to iMovie more supported MP4 or MOV. Besides converting AVCHD to iMovie, it also helps to convert other video formats for importing AVI, WMV, MKV, VOB, DivX, Xvid, FLV, WTV, MXF, MOD, TOD, MPG, MVI, and etc to iMovie of all versions.
  • chris198810
    If you want a direct and smooth MTS to iMovie workflow, you'd better convert MTS to Apple InterMediate Codec for iMovie. Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac is the tool I'm using for transcoding kinds of 1080p, 1080i and even old AVCHD Lite for my iMovie 11.
  • hoozzidge
    iMovie did announce to work with AVCHD which is a camcorder video format used by a variety of camcorder manufacturers. However, it is easier said than done. If you want to import AVCHD into iMovie, you will need a Mac with an Intel-based Core Duo processor or better. Even meeting this requirement, there is still difficulty in importing some of AVCHD format to iMovie especially the high definition format 1080p recorded from Panasonic HDC-TM700, Canon HF S21, Sony HDR-AX2000, Panasonic AG-HMC150 or many other AVCHD camcorders. There are so many converters available online but before going to download or purchase, find out the best AVCHD to iMovie Converter - Faasoft Video Converter.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: