macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wipavue
    Loss of picture quality in iMovie
    Hi, I have Francesco's tuts on iM & iDVD '09. I am making a slideshow, and first compiled and then exported to video in iPhoto. The picture quality is decent, but when I import these movies into iMovie to work on them, even at the highest settings, the quality of what it exports is significantly degraded, whether I export into iDVD, or just onto my desktop. Any workarounds, suggestions? Thanks, Glenn
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Loss of picture quality in iMovie
    Hey Glenn, Are you using iLife '09? What video format did you export to from iPhoto? Thanks Rounik
  • Wipavue
    Hi Rounik, Yes, '09. I've exported at the highest resolution MP4 Improved. iPhoto doesn't give a lot of options in that regard. I've exported from iMovie as Quicktime, using the best codec H.264?, and just as either a high res or HD res, and the only difference is in the processing time. The quality comes out the same. When I drop the iPHoto movie directly into iDVD, the quality is better, but I need to do some editing, etc. Thanks, Glenn
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Glenn, mp4 is well compressed video format, but not necessarily a great quality one to edit... it's not really a format designed to be edited. I haven't done any serious slideshows in iPhoto - expect to show students the feature set. You can make the same slideshows in iMovie. In fact you can access your entire iPhoto library from within iMovie 09 and add Ken burns effects to your photos if desired. As for the export quality. H.264 is a high quality and very good format to export in - but it's still a compressed format, so it won't be as clear as non-compressed formats... but for the quality vs size conundrum it's excellent! Hope this helps... Personally, if I needed to create a photo slideshow with no editing required I'd use iPhoto maybe. If I needed to create a movie using photos and more effects, etc. I'd use iMovie. HTH Rounik
  • Wipavue
    I've tried importing the photos directly into iMovie. As I mentioned above, I have Francesco's tutorials on these programs, and the iMovie '09 gives clear explanations on how to go about it in iMovie. The results are the same, however, as having imported the iPhoto video into iMovie in terms of degradation. Also, I don't need to edit the iPhoto slideshows per se, but I want to include some video introductions and other special effects (like a google satellite image homing in on my place, with a heartbeat audio track, and a bunch of the other fun stuff that Francesco goes into. Unfortunately, I'll have to limit this to basic narration and perhaps a general introduction. Thanks, Glenn
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Glenn, I don't have iPhoto '09 any longer... so am trying this out in iPhoto '11. When you export your slideshow which option do you choose: e.g. Mobile / Medium / Large / Display? In iPhoto '11 there is an option to perform a "Custom Export" where I can export a Quicktime movie and choose the compression type (e.g. H.264) - or even "None", the size, frame rate, and quality etc... Do you have these options available to you? Thanks Rounik
  • Wipavue
    I export as 'display,' and if you choose 'export as Quicktime Movie,' you get the options to choose the codec and parameters. As I further mentioned, if I drop the video directly into iDVD, burn it, and play it back on our TV, the quality is fine. The problem is in exporting from iMovie, unfortunately.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Glenn, I've tried to replicate the problem using iPhoto and imovie '11... I even used the "Export as Display" option and it imports into iMovie fine. I don't notice any severe degradation of the video in iMovie. Try using the Custom Export and export to Quicktime using these two options: - None (compression) and best quality -H.264 (compression) and best quality again. Import both into iMovie 09. Do you still see the issue. Also what quality / megapixels are the original photos? Do you have the latest iLife '09 updates installed? Hope this helps Rounik
  • Wipavue
    Hi, The pics are 12 megapixels, about 6 megs per picture, quite beautiful in iPhoto. All of my software is up to date. I'll try your suggestion....
  • Wipavue
    Ok, I've tried your suggestion and left compression off. The issue now is, the quality is fine, but it took up 500+ megs for a 4 picture slideshow. I have quality set to best, and then to medium, and the size of the file went from 700 to 500 megs. Obviously, I can't use that on a normal DVD for somewhere around 160 photos! Cheers, Glenn
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: