macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wipavue
    Re: Loss of picture quality in iMovie
    Well, I've started a magic iDVD using a 10 gig export from iMovie (one of 4 original iPhoto movies that was came out of iPhoto @ 300 megabytes!) Just waiting for the process to finish. Obviously, iDVD is doing some of its own compressing.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Glenn, The way it works is to find the best quality codec when editing. No compression will result in huge file sizes as you've discovered... while H.264 @ Best quality usually results in very good quality and a decent to small file size. DVD-Video Discs must be encoded in a special format (MPEG-2). DVD-Video is also not High definition... (Blu Ray is... but that's "a bag of hurt" as Steve Jobs described sometime last year!!) ... anyway, best to compress your video sparingly - personally I would avoid using No Compression, but try H.264. I advised using No Comp simply to test and see whether the quality issue was caused by the compression used by iPhoto's default export options. Seems it was. Hope that helps :) Rounik
  • Wipavue
    Thanks for trying, Rounik. I am awaiting a lengthy export process from both iPhoto and iDVD. I expect I'll find some reasonable compromise, but I find it hard to believe that so much information is being discarded. It is especially evident on night skies, where it becomes very grainy and looks like a photo might look on an old Mac with only thousands of colours.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Glenn, No probs. Exporting from iPhoto in H.264 should be fine - do try it if you haven't already... Difficult for me to comment on the amount of info being lost through compression without seeing the originals... Hope H.264 at maximum quality helps! Best Rounik
  • Wipavue
    Well, After a bunch of experimentation and my wife's input, I've concluded that the only way for me to get the resolution I want is to export from iPhoto. Strange, but true. As for the 'editing,' I've decided on the workaround of editing video clips in iMovie then inserting them back into the slideshows in iPhoto, then importing those files into iDVD. Bit of a PITA, but this will work best, imo. I'll probably add a narrative audio track in Logic, as well as some music. Anyways, thanks! Glenn PS, I also tried setting up slideshows within iDVD, but they weren't all that clear, either.
  • Rounik Admin
    That's interesting! I wonder if iPhoto and iMovie '11 handle this better, as I've not found any serious artefacts introduced via iPhoto's slideshow compression... Sorry to know that've got such a long workflow. Yup - I don't like doing slideshows in iDVD... Much better to set these up in iMovie. Personally, I would import the photos directly into imovie and setup the slideshow, effects and other stuff right there and then record the voice over in Logic and add it to the project in iMovie and then export from there to iDVD. I'm not clear if you've already tried this. Excuse me if you've been through this workflow already! Rounik
  • Wipavue
    Yep. Tried it. What I'll do is set up intros and a few other video clips in iMovie (there's no problems with video--just photos, wtf?), export them as iPhoto compatible files, and then put them into the iPhoto slideshow where appropriate, THEN export either to my desktop or directly into iDVD, whichever works best. RunonsentencesRus, Glenn
  • Rounik Admin
    I thought that was excellent sentence structure, in that it got the message across, without me feeling overwhelmed by a sudden influx of words -- furthermore, the fact you conveyed your message so clearly meant that, from a communication perspective, I had no trouble whatsoever following your train of thought and understood your process perfectly -- now the only issue I have is knowing that you have to perform such a convoluted workflow to get decent results. I cheated with by using "--" but not too shoddy for a "runonsentence" methinks. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: