macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Autism Hangout (dotcom)
    Best HD videocam for iMovie '09... '11
    Hi I am upgrading my old DV video cameras to HD. I bought a Canon HF200 based on the product's reviews. Now I find I must CONVERT the MTS files to .mov before I can use them. That process is extremely time consuming. I'm wondering if there is an HD camera that records in DV or .mov or ANYTHING that does NOT need to be converted in order for iMovie to use. Or, does anyone know if iMovie '11 works with MTS HD files? Thanks. Craig www.autismhangout.com
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Best HD videocam for iMovie '09... '11
    Hi Craig, Welcome to the forums! I believe the following should work to convert mts for iMovie (if you're not already using this method): 1. Copy the AVCHD tree from the camcorder to a folder on your Mac. 2. In iMovie choose File > Import > Camera Archive... and choose the parent folder. It should be able to import the footage. If you're looking for a smoother workflow, Apple has a page on iMovie '11 Supported Cameras here: [url]http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US[/url] Hope this helps! Rounik
  • Autism Hangout (dotcom)
    Hi Rounik. Thanks for the response. I tried your suggestion (I pulled the individual files from the SD using a card reader). The files were ghosted on the desktop... unable to open/read using your suggested approach. Must admit to being discouraged over this upgrade. I am NOT ready to ditch my very-functional setup with DV and iMovie '09 (see over 300 videos at www.autismhangout.com). I'm thinking I'll try an older Canon HD camera that works with DV... they are still out there. Thanks for your help!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Did you select the "parent folder" and NOT the files, right? The files will be greyed out. But the parent folder should be selectable for iMovie to read as an archive. To be honest, I'm still really happy using a Canon HV20 tape based camcorder. Does the job really well in iMovie and Final Cut! Thanks Rounik
  • daybreak
    I keep reading people work in iMovie and keep altering there movie camera for better quality. Of what picture, sound, etc. If you dont make a living out of this profession and everything work plus your audience dont mind. What is the problem. i started with iMovie5 and still use it today. All iMovie9 those is alter my editing pattern and gives me a trailer software. I like making my own. The iMovie are nice but to fast and you will get a bit bored with them. They say tape is on its way out. Not while i use it.[i]TEXT[/i][b]TEXT[/b][b]TEXT[/b]
  • BenB
    Tape is pretty much dead in the professional market, yes.
  • daybreak
    Some professional's still use tape and many amateur. Just because a new product comes on the market that those not means one has to alter. I have years of video tape to edit and expensive video camera's which use tape. As long as i can get tape i will use tape. But if one starts out by all means go tapeless. Saying that some good bargains can be had it format tape to learn the art of video making
  • BenB
    I consult for many, many government, military, university, corporate, broadcast, etc. facilities, not a single one uses tape any longer. Many are converting their tape archives to digital archives. About all professional video cameras today are tapeless. Most all consumer cameras today are tapeless. The last manufacturer of "film" movie cameras has stopped making them, so there are no new film movie cameras being made anywhere in the world now. It's a digital world, digital is more economical, more efficient, easier and faster to deal with. It's a simple fact of life. And yes, some individuals are still using their old tape based cameras, but those are cameras that are not being used by high end production companies.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: